Chapter 44 - Hell

I rapidly tapped my fingers against the desk as I read over yet another book about the great Rainbow war. It was becoming a bit of a hassle discerning what was truth and what was a lie. Each book that was from a different domain told a completely different story. Accounts written by guardian children seemed to have their accomplishments fluffed, while accounts from Guardians were ultra glamorous. As if the writer worshipped the ground they walked on. 

People from health guardian Freyrs' domain all claimed that he was always above mages. And that he handled their curses with no sweat. Only leaving to deal with a defiant daughter. While people from Bellona, the war Guardians domain, say that she fought regardless of curses and stated Freyr had to offer endurance enhancements to her people in order to get her into the healing pools. Then there were scattered stories written by heroes of that era. It seems like the healing pool is referenced enough to be a thing. And all accounts mention Heracles. As I tried to read the next book, my mother's face kept coming into mind.

I needed to figure this out. That's the best way I can apologize. She's probably worried sick, just like Casey was. I started reading the same sentence over and over again. My thoughts just weren't in the research anymore. I wondered how Casey was doing? I wondered how mom was handling me being gone? I took a breath and shut the book. 

"What, are you feeling the other's emotions?" Nick asked. 

I leaned back in the chair and shook my head. 

"Nah, it hasn't turned back on yet. I just can't focus right now."

"Well considering execution is technically on the table, I don't blame you." He said and stretched his arms out to the sky.

"Honestly, I'm not even worried about that. Aeserias talk is still running through my head. The people I've been taking for granted, ya know?" 

"I guess that's fair. When I was knocked out at a park once, my mom ran through the snowy streets of the city barefoot to find me. She had blisters and almost got frostbite. I was pretty guilty about that for a while."

"Wow, ya know, your mom sounds pretty awesome."

He smiled. "Yeah, she is. That's why I need to break the curse. So she can have a normal life."

"I feel exactly the same about my mom."

"Don't worry, nothing's going to stop us from finding that fountain of youth. I'll make sure of it. Even if it means war again."

I blinked a few times and looked back at the book I was reading. Ear against the guardians, every story I read so far. Each one sounded really intense. I can't even imagine fighting like that now. Could Nick actually win if something like that happened? If we had to fight a guardian? 

"Mr.Saint, you asked earlier about missing memories, correct?"

A voice called out from behind. We both turned back and saw Orion behind us. Nick spun around in his chair and faced him. 

"Yeah, what of it?" He asked Orion.

"Well, I'd like to have a look at your mind. There's a number of reasons memories could be missing. So to start, I'd like to evaluate your head with a spell."

"Before any of that, what's the catch? You've helped us, Aeseria, and Casey. With no sign of needing anything. What's the catch?" Nick asked. 

Orion looked away and scratched at his cheek. "And that was a trick, because you know I can't guard my soul, right?"

Nick smirked. "Something like that. Gotta get your brain thinking so your soul will speak. I bet you figured all these other losers' emotions could help cloud yours. But I can see right through you."