Chapter 18 - Monsters

The ashen leaves that surrounded me didn't seem real. It was like a glitch of some other world coming through. While the bark was flavored with a lavender shade. I tried to force my body to move, but I just stayed in place. My eyes fixated on a nest below. It was odd, the nest was set against the ground and not in the trees. I wondered if this was a snake's nest. Knowing Boa it probably was.

The eggs that were nestled into the hay started to shake. A crack emerged from one of the eggs and a green ooze leaked from its surface. It reminded me of the Alien movie, I was just way closer than I'd liked to be. A beak peaked through the crevice that formed and I noticed wings and claws breaking the rest of the eggs. Wait, this wasn't a snake? 

I watched as a pointed head came out and it suddenly clicked. A Pterodactyl!  These eggs were from a Pterodactyl! My eyes were glued on a smaller egg by the edge of the nest. It's head popped out and I was speechless. His eye, he only had one eye. 

An angelic ray erupted to life, shining from every inch of the forest. The Pterodactyl's and even the leaves were all frozen in place. Like someone pressed pause on a movie. The angelic like soon consumed everything in its path, then abruptly faded. Giving me a new scene.

The baby Pterodactyls we're waddling behind their mother on a cliff. The one eyed baby hurried closer behind the mother and he was immediately swatted back. He rolled back behind his siblings and the rest quickened their pace. He pushed himself back up and charged right back in. Only this time, the mother used her claws and smacked him away. Blood flew from his chest as he was sent back. His siblings treated him as if he was just a rock and stomped over him. He whined and begged for help, however, help never arrived. He was left trampled there as the mother and the siblings flew away.

The light resurfaced itself and the scene paused once more. Changing into something more familiar. The view overlooked a spot near a big tree and a pink river. Someone with a black cowboy hat sat against the tree with his hands in his lap. That's when it dawned on me, this is where I was. The exact spot I'm currently sitting in!

My body moved and I was able to see more of this mysterious cowboy. His skin was a darker caramel color, just like Casey's. Wrapped around his right arm was a dragon tattoo that went all the way up to his shoulder. The world stopped moving for me and I heard a beast cry from the sky. I was forced to stay right beside the cowboy, unable to turn toward the sound. It was unnerving, but soon the beast came into sight. The Cowboy looked up and his eyes met the one eye of the Pterodactyl's.

A smile etched itself on the man's face and he stood up. Him and the Pterodactyl faced off, being exactly the same height. His eyes scanned over it and stopped at the scars on his chest. 

"Yeah, this is definitely my spirit animal." He chuckled. "I dig that scar, I think I'll call you that. What do you say, you like the name? Scar?"

I sensed the warmth that rose inside the creature. For the first time in it's life. It was wanted. The scene flashed with another dazzling light and now we were in the forest. The trees around were being consumed by a hungry flame that was infecting the entire forest. The cries of scr filled the night as he and the Cowboy came into view. The cowboys eyes shone with a scarlet flame as he held out a pistol and a knife. 

"Engano! Engano! We should just run!"

A boy ran into sight. He had ebony skin and wild Raven locks. His attire reminded me of Tarzan, with him only wearing a pair of ripped shorts. He definitely didn't look older than ten.

"No way mutt! This is just getting started." The cowboy cheered.

A wolf's howl pierced through the night and the enemy suddenly became clear. Ahead of the group was a pack of wolves, however, these weren't ordinary wolves. They were huge! Like as big as a pick up truck! They easily towered over the group, Despite this fact. The Cowboy Engano had excitement practically dripping off of him.