Chapter 76- Descent

Deku's POV
-----------------
I get down the stairs slowly. Carefully. Clasping Kacchan's hand as if he were to run away and leave me stranded at any moment. The scent of the collective class, which I can usually ignore, becomes so thick in the air, simply inhaling makes my head throb.

As soon as we get to the bottom, most, if not all, of the voices in the room clamor over each other to reach me, so much so that I couldn't make out a word if I tried.

I couldn't even tell who was speaking, as my eyes stayed obediently glued to the floor, refusing to so much as see a face that isn't Kacchan's.

When shoes and socked feet begin to enter my field of vision, crowding far too close to my own, my arms involuntarily snake themselves around Kacchan in a fearful sort of hug.

I can't distinguish one scent from another. They rush at me all at once burning my nose, making my head ache and my eyes water. For a brief moment, I even lose Kacchan's scent in the swell.

A low growl originating from the back of my throat, eminats from me.

Was it in an attempt to scare everyone away?

Or to tell Kacchan I was afraid?

...I'm not sure.

"Can everyone back the fuck off!" Kacchan yells at the crowd, his booming voice rising far above theirs. The action made me shut my eyes tightly, and bury my face in his chest.

Maybe I was trying to get closer to him.

Maybe I was trying to keep myself from running away.

I'm not sure.

The piercing sound of the other voices becomes amused, chirping and chiding, though they dwindle down after some time.

"How was your day off?" One said.

"We started a really fun-" Another said. Though this voice seemed to stop.

Not because they stopped talking, but because I simply stopped hearing them.

"Are you feeling better? Where are you going anyways?" Another asked.

"The project is huge! And we-" this voice was the same one from before, right?

"Everyone was so worried-" Or was it that one?

"Come on, he was obviously faking. I've never seen him sick once. Is it cuz you're not doing well in class? Everyone knows you're grades dropped, and-" Or this one, maybe?

They bicker and snap, blurring together and cutting each other off in such a way that it sounded like static coming through a busted radio. Shrill and unpleasant, giving me nothing, and then far too much to process in intervals that I couldn't predict.

"Shh, don't talk about that. He's probably still sick." I can't tell who's talking.

"Oh! But we are gonna have a party tonight-"

Please...

Go away.

"I SAID BACK OFF!" Kacchan's chest rumbles as he yells again."He's obviously not feeling well, can't you guys listen for one second."

The other voices stopped.

Kacchan pushes through the crowd with me under his arm, emerging into the clear, and leaving behind a mass of confused, annoyed and judging eyes.

He marched forward one determined foot after the other to what I assumed was the kitchen.

My eyes finally allow themselves to be opened, still only staring at the shirt resting on his body. The white fabric didn't calm me as I, for some reason, was expecting it too.