Chapter 40

Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.
**********************************
Vincent's POV

I can't believe we just kissed, was the only thought going through my head as Mia and I ran down the hallway. Inside, I was jumping for joy, but, on the outside, I was running as fast as I could. I was actually surprised that Mia was keeping up with me. I couldn't help but smile as I looked over at her. Her hair was blowing out behind her as she kept her eyes focused in front of her.

When we got to the top of main staircase, I saw Izzy standing by the door, a girl laying at her feet.

"Izzy!" I heard Mia yell as she stared to run down the stairs. I followed and we were soon standing side by side next to Izzy.

"What happened?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I was in the library and I heard the bell ring, so I walked down here, not thinking much about it. I opened the door, she said that she needed help, and...collapsed."

I looked down at the girl. She was still breathing, which was a good thing.

"Did she tell you her name? Maybe we can look through the records."

"Yeah. She said it was Robyn."

"Okay. Iz, how about you go to the library and see if you can find anything. Mia and I will get her to the infirmary."

Izzy just nodded and took off up the stairs. I looked over at Mia and saw that she was staring at the girl with a confused look on her face

"What's up? You look like you just saw a ghost."

Mia was quiet. It started to scare me when she didn't respond after about two minutes. I reached over and put my hand on her shoulder. She jumped, but it shook her out of her trance. She looked over at me and back at the girl.

"Sorry. It's just...this is going to sound really crazy...but, I think I know her."

I looked at her and saw that she was completely serious. "Okay. We will talk more about this later, but, for now, can you help me get her to the infirmary?"

Mia just nodded her head and reached down to pick Robyn up. I grabbed her other arm and draped it over my shoulder. We slowly started making our way up the stairs and towards the infirmary. Once we got there, I opened the door and walked over to one of the many empty beds in the room. We laid her down and I saw Mia sink into one of the chairs next to her bed. She had her head resting in her hands.

"Mia? Are you okay?" I asked as I made my way to kneel in front of her.

"I...I...don't know."

I took her hands away from her face and held them in mine. She looked at me and I could see that she was genuinely scared.

"Mia, come here." I pulled her into a hug and I felt her relax.

She let out a shaky breath. "I just don't know what to do. It feels like my whole world has changed in the course of just one day." Mia pulled away and looked at me. "I woke up in a lab, found out I'm a werewolf, went to a club, met everyone here, found out I'm a Shadowhunter, met you, and now Robyn. I woke up not knowing anything and, now, I feel like I know more than I ever could have learned in a whole year."

When she finished, I could see a few tears stream down her face. I reached my hand up and wiped them away. She smiled weakly and I smiled back.

"Mia. I know you feel like you got thrust into this world, but I know you." Mia tried to say something, but I shook my head. "Let me finish. You are strong and brave and compassionate and beautiful. You have gone through more than anyone else has. Well, maybe not Clary, but..." I trailed off as Mia laughed a little. I smiled and continued. "I know I couldn't handle half of what you did today. But you can. I know this because you did. I don't know how I got so lucky to be able to know you."

Mia didn't say anything. She just smiled and leaned down to kiss me. When she pulled away, she said, "I'm so lucky to have met you."

I smiled and leaned in for another kiss. However, we were interrupted by the sound of the Institute shaking. Mia gasped and grabbed my hand. I looked at her and gave her a reassuring smile.

"That's just the the portal. It means someone has come through it."

I saw her nod her head as I got up and pulled her up with me. With one last look at the other girl, we stepped out into the hallway and started towards the library.
***********************************
Hey guys. I hope that you guys liked this chapter. I had so much fun writing it. I'm not going to have any questions here because I'm going to be doing another update after this. It's going to be a key to the characters. I know that there are a lot of characters, so I wanted to help you guys remember them. Until the next update.
-blackwolves16