Chapter 6

Hey guys. The picture is who I based Howard off of. And, yes, I know who it is. I hope you like this chapter. It's a little longer, but I just had an idea of where to take the story so I just wrote. Hope you guys like it.
**********************************
Mia's POV

As soon as the doors to the dining room opened, I could hear the conversations start to die down. Oh God, I thought. All eyes on me. This is exactly what I need. So, in an attempt to conceal myself from all of the staring eyes, I started to try to back out of the door. However, Vincent caught me just as I was almost out. He put an arm around me and started ushering me back into the room.

"Hey guys. This is Mia and she is the newest member of the family. I hope that all of you will make her feel welcome."

As soon as Vincent finished talking, a girl that looked to be about my age got out of her chair and made her way over to where I was standing. She looked at me, almost as if she was trying to size me up. However, all of my doubts went away when she reached for my hand and a huge smile started to spread across her face. As she started to drag me to an empty seat beside her, she said, "Hi. My name's Kat. And, before you ask, my hair is naturally this red. Sorry. A lot of people always ask that so I just thought that I would get that out in the open since I know that we are going to be best friends."

"Well, it's nice to meet you. You're one of the few people that has actually been friendly to me, so, yeah. Being best friends sounds good." Well, I thought to myself, this girl sure likes to talk, but she does seem like a good person to have as a friend.

"Yay! I'm so happy. Well, come on, sit, eat. You look like you could use some food." Kat patted the seat next to her, so I sat down and started to look at all of the food that was on the table.

"Wow. You guys sure know how to eat. This stuff looks amazing," I said to Kat as all of the conversations started back up.

"Yeah. And it tastes even better than it looks. Here, try this," she replied, pushing a plate of chicken legs towards me. "The cook soaks it in orange juice. I know it sound disgusting, but it's really good. Trust me."

I looked over at Kat. She had a really excited expression on her face, so I just laughed and picked up the chicken. As soon as I took a bite, she asked, "So? What do you think?"

"Wow...this is really good," I replied, taking another bite.

"Yeah?" Kat asked. When I nodded my head "yes," Kat started clapping before she said, "Yay. I'm so glad," and taking a chicken leg of her own.

When Kat was done eating, she started to introduce some of the people that were sitting around us. "Okay. So, Alice is the one with the black hair and pixie cut. Casey is the one with blonde hair. The two twins with the brown hair are Grace and Steven. Lastly, the one staring at you with the black hair is Nick."

When she introduced the last one, I looked in the direction that she was pointing and saw a black-haired boy that was, in fact, staring at me. When I looked at him, he immediately looked away and I kind of blushed, like I was embarrassed. Why do I feel embarrassed? I don't even know him. What if he has a girlfriend? While I was mulling this over in my mind, Vincent stood up and everyone quieted down.

"Okay everyone. Dinner is over. You may all go to your rooms now. Kat? Could you and Mia stay? I need to talk to you both."

Kat nodded and I did the same. As everyone got up and started towards the door, I saw that Nick had hesitated. "Vincent. When you're done, I need to talk to you. In private."

Vincent just nodded and motioned towards the door. Nick seemed to understand as he got up and left the room, closing the door after himself. When the door closed, Vincent turned to Kat and I and motioned for us to come to where he was standing. When we got there, Vincent started talking.

"Okay. So, if you haven't figured it out yet, I am the leader of this pack. Kat is my second in command and she will be the one showing you the ropes around here. For now, until we get you a room, you will be staying with Kat. Kat, you don't mind do you?"

"Nope. I don't mind at all. Come on, Mia. Let's go."

Vincent just laughed at how excited Kat was. "Alright. You are dismissed."

And, with that, Kat started to drag me out of the room and down a hallway. The last thing that I saw before we turned the first corner was Nick and Vincent talking with serious expressions on both of their faces.