Chapter 81

Vincent's POV

I watched as Mia ran out before moving to get out of my seat. Feeling a hand on my arm, I turned to see Clary shaking her head.

"I got this," she said sending me a small smile before making her way out of the room.

I leaned back and took a deep breath before attempting to turn my attention back to the conversation. "So, is there anything else you think we should know?"

"Gray's going to be making a plan to get her back. I can't tell you what exactly he's going to do, but I know she's incredibly special and he wants her on his side at all costs. Protecting her should be one of the top priorities here."

"And it will be," Alec said as he stood up and made his way to stand by the window. "So, now that we know what his end goal is, how do we stop him?"

"We could try to get to the Downworlders before he does," Jace volunteered. "I know it's a long shot, but it might help even the playing field."

"He already has a lot of people on his side. Believe it or not, but Shadowhunters aren't exactly the most liked people out there," Tyler said.

"Yeah we know. I guess the only thing we can really do is get as much help as we can," Izzy said. "We do still have some Downworlders on our side or even those that owe us favors."

"I wish I could stay and be of more help, but I should get back. I'm sure Gray is already wondering where I am," Tyler stated as he stood up and stretched.

"You've already been a major help," Alec said, coming back over to stand at the head of the table. "Thank you for helping us prepare. If there is anything else that comes up that you think we should know, you are more than welcome in the Institute."

"Thank you. I'll most likely be contacting Mia with anything, since that's the easiest way for me to get information out. I probably won't be able to leave the compound anytime soon."

"Okay, stay safe."

"You too."

I turned to give him a handshake before he left. "Thank you for looking after her."

He nodded his head before making his way out of the room. When the door shut, everyone looked towards Alec and Magnus.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"For now, we get sleep. I think this has been a lot for everyone and we all need all the rest we can get before this fight with Gray. We have information that we didn't before, which is great, but no one can work well when they're tired," Magnus said, before looking at me. "We'll still have to make sure Mia is safe."

"I got that covered."

"We'll all help," Tessa said, smiling at me. "You're not always going to be able to keep an eye on her."

"Thank you," I said before standing up. "I guess I should go and check up on her."

Alec nodded and I made my way up the stairs and started down the hall. Hearing all of that was a definite shock and I still didn't exactly know what to do with all that information. I had heard of people being sired to someone before, but I never thought it would happen to Mia. Mia...by the angel, what did he do to you? I asked myself, stopping to lean against the wall and catch my breath. Just the thought of Gray doing anything to change her...well, let's just say I have a list of not fun ways to kill him. When I felt somewhat calmer, I started to resume my walk to her room.

"Vincent."

I turned around to see Jem walking towards me. "What's up?"

"I know you will not want to hear this, but I feel like it needs to be repeated."

"This is about Mia and I, isn't it?"

"I understand that you love each other. However, we still do not know the full extents of the powers the both of you have. What happened with Gray is only proof that there are people out there that want to use powers like the ones Mia possess for great evil. We need to do everything in our known powers to prevent that from happening."

I took a deep breath. "I know all that, but I can't help the fact that her and I have a past. I can't overlook that and how we feel about each other. I basically just got her back and I refuse to let her go again."

I don't know if I imagined it or not, but I could have sworn I saw Jem smile before he spoke again. "I know and I admire that about you."

"Admire what?"

"Your willingness to do anything for the ones you love. It is a trait I have long admired in those I know. I would just warn you to be careful, especially since we are still working on figuring out what the both of you can do."

"I know and we will be."

Jem nodded his head. "Good. We do not need two of our greatest assets being harmed before this fight."

"We'll be careful. Is there anything else you needed?"

"One last thing: the information we have on Mia's parents."

"Yeah, I know," I sighed.

"Have you talked to Mia about it yet?"

"Not yet. I've been trying to find the right time."

"I do not believe there is ever a right time to talk about something like this."

"Yeah true. I know I should've told her by now, but I just don't know how she'll take it."

"I do not think that is something you can dwell on right now. She needs to know about her parents. I believe she is strong enough to hear this."

"I know. I can't believe the same thing basically happened to them."

"It is an unexplainable situation, but it would explain why Gray only needed a little of his blood to turn her into a demon," Jem said.

"What it still doesn't explain is how Gray even knew about her."

"Like Tyler said, he must have had someone in the area when we found her. That or he knew about her even before we did."

"I don't want to think that that's possible, but it might be." I let out a deep breath before moving to lean against the wall.

"We know that she got her powers from her mother," Jem started before moving to stand next to me, "and that the relationship between her and her husband started out as a sire bond. Gray must have been tracking that family and found out about Mia that way."

I nodded slowly. "It makes sense. He must have been interested in how the sire bond works. That or he was just looking for her mother's powers."

"Both valid possibilities. I suppose we should leave this conversation for another day when we can attempt to find research to support any claim we make."

"Probably a good idea. I'm going to go find Mia and Clary. Fill them in on what they missed of the defeating Gray talk."

"Be careful."

"I will, Jem."

He simply nodded and turned to walk back down the hallway towards the library. I stood where I was for a moment before pushing away from the wall and continuing my walk to Mia's room. As I turned a corner, I was met with the sight of Mia on the ground with Clary kneeling in front of her.

"Clary? Mia? What happened? Are you okay?"