Chapter 1

Mia's POV

"What is it?"

"We don't know."

I didn't know how I could hear any of this. The last thing that I remembered was falling down stairs and through a window. After that, it was pretty much a blur. As I started to come to, I realized that I was lying on a cold table and there were many different tubes hooked up to me.

"Where did you get it from?"

"It was in the alley by our home."

Alley? And why are these voices calling me 'it'? There were so many questions that I wanted to ask, but I was too afraid to direct all of their attention to me.

"Is it dead?"

"No. We think that it's just asleep."

"Well, when you find a way to wake it up, tell me. Until then, I don't want to see or hear you again."

I heard a pair of footsteps walk past me, then a door open and slam shut. Whoever that was must be really mad about something and very interested in me, I thought. But why?

"Well, now what?"

"We try to wake it up."

"But, but.....what if it can get very angry when woken up?"

"We'll just have to take our chances. Or do you want our boss to fire us?"

I decided to make their decision a little easier. First, I moved my feet. Then, my fingers. Lastly, a deep breath. That definitely got their attention, I thought as I heard footsteps approach me.

"Is it awake? Did we wake it up? Is it going to be really mad?"

"Oh, just shut up would you. Look, I think it's coming to."

I finally opened my eyes. It took me awhile to adjust to the bright lights all around the room. When I finally got adjusted to them, I looked to my left and saw a man and a woman standing next to me. The man looked really scared, but the woman looked as if she couldn't care less.

"Where am I?" I asked. "And who are you?"

"My name is Bree and the scared looking one is Howard," Bree answered as she started pulling the tubes off of me. "These are probably really uncomfortable. Sorry to start questioning you right when you get up, but do you remember what your name is?"

"Yeah, they were. Thank you and it's Mia. My name is Mia. Could you possibly tell me where I am?"

"Oh yes, sorry. Right now, you're in our workhouse. We find people or things like you and bring them back here to study them and perform different experiments on them to find out what they are and why they are or became what they are," Bree replied.

"What do you mean 'people like me'?"

"You really don't know? Do you remember anything about your life before the accident?" Bree asked.

"No, I don't know what I am and anything that I do remember is really fuzzy."

Just as I finished, I heard a faint vibrating from somewhere behind me. I snapped my head around to look for the source of the sound. I finally spotted it: a cell phone on the far table by a door. I didn't know how, but I knew, for certain, that the phone was mine. As I started to get up, Bree stepped in front of me.

"Mia, you should probably stay seated for a while. You may still be a little woozy from all of the medications."

"But, that's my phone. I want to see who called me."

"I know you do, but I'm only being cautious. I don't want you to fall and hurt yourself," Bree replied.

"What makes you think that I would fall? Don't you think that I can handle a simple thing, like walking, by myself?"

"No, of course we do. We're just looking after your well-being. Now, if you would please lie down -" Bree started.

"No," I replied. "So, first you find me in some random alley and just decide that you're going to bring me to some random place. Then, you hook me up to all these random tubes with liquids in them, like I'm some kind of freaky mutant or something. And then you say that I can't even look at my own phone or, apparently, even walk because I might get a little bit 'woozy.' You're just two people that I just met and you already think that you have some freaky authority over me."

"No, we don't think that, but...." Bree trailed off, looking at something behind me. I turned around to see another, older man walk through the door.

"But, I do. Hello, my name is Robert and it is a pleasure to see you up and talking." Robert then picked up my phone and tossed it at me. I don't know how I caught it, but I did.

"Wow. You have amazing reflexes, my girl." Robert was now right in front of me. He reached his hand out to touch my face, but I snapped my head away. I also heard a low growling sound coming from deep in my throat.

"And a feisty one, too. I think you'll fit in just fine here."

By now, I was having a hard time controlling myself. When he went to touch me again, I just totally lost it. I grabbed his wrist and, with one quick movement, snapped and broke it. I felt a little bit better after doing that, but I still wanted more. So, I picked Robert up and threw him as far across the room as I could. He hit the wall hard and fell to the ground, unmoving.

As soon as everyone started running toward Robert, something clicked inside me and I realized what I had done. I now felt less murderous. When I fully realized what I had done, I started backing away slowly towards the door. I was looking wildly at everyone in the room to see if any of them were watching me. Just as I got to the door, I caught Bree looking over at me, first with confusion, then with understanding as she saw my hand reach for the doorknob. She started to say something, but I didn't hear anything as I swung the door open and bolted out down the hallway.