Chapter 84

Mia's POV

Izzy met us at the opening of the alley Clary had made the portal in. She looked relieved to see me, but I saw a questioning look settle over her face when she saw Vincent and I standing far away from each other. Clary just shook her head when the two made eye contact and motioned for me to step through the portal. I did, only stumbling a few steps with I got to the other side. I waited for Clary to come through before making my way up the stairs and to my room. She hadn't followed me, but I knew she would come when she explained a little bit of what was going on to everyone and got whatever she needed from her room.

When I got to my door, I saw that it was partially opened. Not wanting to take any chances, I got my knife out and slowly pushed it open the rest of the way.

"Hey Mia."

I let out the breath I didn't know I had been holding in when I saw Tessa sitting on the edge of the bed. "Hey," I replied, walking in and tossing the knife on the bed.

"You planning on having to hurt someone?"

"With the way things have been going, do you really blame me?"

"True. Well, I can assure you that it's just me wanting to talk to you."

"About?" I asked as I moved to sit next to her.

"I'm guessing you overheard the conversation Jem and Vincent had." When I nodded my head, she continued on. "We didn't want him to tell you until we were sure and we had the information we needed to prove it to you. Also, this has been an extraordinarily stressful time for you, so we wanted to give you time to work through whatever you needed to before dropping this on you."

"So you knew too? Is there anyone else?"

Tessa just shook her head. "Just Jem, Vincent, me, and now you and Clary. Jem and I had our suspicions for a little bit, but we weren't completely sure."

"And now you are?"

"Yes. We had a plan in place where you would be the first out of everyone else to find out, but then Gray happened and we've seen how that went."

"Yeah. I guess I get it...doesn't mean I'm still not mad at him for not finding a way to tell me about this sooner."

"I know, but it wasn't only his decision. Both Jem and I wanted to make sure you had the time you needed to properly think that information over and not have to worry about much else in the process."

"I appreciate that, but didn't you guys ever think that knowing that would've helped at all?"

"We did and we would've taken the steps we needed to if we thought that it would've helped in some extremely significant way. We know that this was important for you."

"Yeah it kinda is."

"I'm sorry that we didn't tell you before. You would've known soon. I hope you can believe that we wouldn't have just kept this information from you forever."

"I do believe that. It's just hard to wrap my head around people thinking that it was a good idea to keep information about my parents from me. It literally explains why I am the way I am and why Gray was able to turn me so easily. I would've liked to know that before now."

"We all know and I, at least, do feel bad. Honestly, if you want anyone to be mad at, it should be Jem and I. Vincent was just doing what we told him to and what we thought would be better for you."

"So is that why you're here? To get me to make-up with Vincent?"

"I mean if that happens, I'm glad. I just wanted to make sure you knew the whole truth."