Chapter 60

Video: Good Girls by 5 Seconds of Summer (don't know if it works, but look it up on youtube if it doesn't)
**if you haven't read The Infernal Devices series, you may not want to read this chapter (spoilers for some)**
**********************************
Mia's POV

I stood there, shocked, for a minute. Then, I snapped to attention and put my hands on Jace's chest to push him away. I pushed him a little harder than I probably should have and he stumbled. I put my hand to my mouth and looked at him. Jace had a smug expression on his face and I looked back at him with a dead serious one on mine.

"What the hell was that?" I almost yelled at him.

"A kiss. Have you never been kissed before?"

"That's not the point. Are you trying to piss me off? Or, worse, Vincent?"

"That wasn't the plan, no."

"Then what did you think you were going to accomplish?" I asked, wiping my mouth.

"Well, normally when someone kisses someone else, it means that that someone likes, maybe even loves, the other person."

My eyes widened. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. This is not good, I thought to myself. "Um...I...I have to go..."

"Mia..." I heard Jace say my name as I ran over to the stairs. I turned back to see everyone looking at me. Vincent started to walk towards me, but I just shook my head and started to run up the stairs and out of the library. I heard Vincent yell my name, but I just picked up my speed.

Mia! Vincent yelled.

Don't, was my only reply. I concentrated on putting a block up around my mind so that no one could read my thoughts. I felt a slight ache spread throughout my body when I concentrated on imagining walls coming up around my mind. I guess it worked, I thought to myself. When I didn't get a reply from Vincent, I smiled a little and kept running.

I didn't know where I was running, but I soon came to a stop in front of the training room. I walked in and closed the door. Looking around, my gaze settled on the wall that had throwing knives hung up on it. I grabbed one of the weapon belts and started putting random knives in the pockets. When I had finished, I looked up at the ceiling. There were beams evenly spaced across it. I looked around and followed a diagonal one that connected with the wall. I put my hands on it and started to climb. I had no idea how I was climbing as far up as I was, but, soon, I was sitting on one of the top beams.

I looked down and kind of just stared at the floor. Then, I took out one of the knives and threw it at one of the targets that was diagonally down from where I was sitting. It hit it dead center and I smiled. I started kicking my feet and twirling another knife.

I can't believe that Jace likes me. And he kissed me... I angrily threw the knife that I was holding at the target right as the door opened. I looked over to see that Tessa had walked in and was looking at the target that now had two knives in the center. She looked up at me and waved.

"Thought I might find you here," she said. "Do you want to come down or are you going to make me come up there?"

I sighed and prepared myself to jump down. I did a quick flip before I landed on the ground and walked over to where Tessa was standing.

"Impressive," she said when I stopped in front of her.

"Thanks. Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you here?"

"Everyone was worried about you and I thought that I would be best suited to give you some advice."

"And why would that be?"

"I had two boys fighting over me who just happened to be parabatai. I'm sure someone has told you something about me, Jem, and Will, right?"

"Yeah," I replied. Tessa walked over to one of the benches by a window. I followed and sat down beside her.

"Well, I'm guessing that is also your problem. Not the whole parabatai thing, but the two guys that you have feelings for fighting over you part."

I took a deep breath. "Yeah...I can't believe two guys like me at the same time."

Tessa let out a dry laugh. "I couldn't either when it happened to me, to tell you the truth. I loved just sitting in the library back in the London Institute. Next thing I know, I have a Shadowhunter and a sick Shadowhunter turned Silent Brother turned part Shadowhunter part Silent Brother fighting over me...trust me when I say I know what you're going through."

I laughed and leaned back against the window. "I don't know what to do...what did you do?"

"Well, my decision was a little easier. At first, I had a really hard time choosing between the two. Then, Jem was turned into a Silent Brother, so I couldn't date him, so I started dating Will. Then, Will died and Jem got turned into a Shadowhunter/Silent Brother and he came back, so we have been together for a while now."

"And now that Will is back...does that change anything?"

Tessa was silent for a minute. "I'll let you know when I know."

We both laughed, but then I turned serious again. "So, what advice would you give me? Because I don't think Jace and Vincent will be giving up easily or anytime soon."

"I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what questions I asked myself when I was choosing: Who do I think about the most? Who first pops into my head in the morning? Who can I honestly see myself with the most? And, if those questions don't work, a pros and cons list also works."

I let out a soft laugh. "Thanks Tess. It means a lot."

"No problem, Mia. Now, you should probably go and see Vincent."

"Why?"

Tessa got up and looked down at me. "He said that he couldn't hear you anymore. He was looked really worried. He's in his room if you want to talk to him. It's five doors to the left of Iz's room."

"Thanks again, Tessa."

"No problem. I'm always around if you need to talk."

I nodded my head and Tessa smiled at me before she left the room. I sat for a few more minutes, staring out the window, before I got up and put the knives and belt back and left to go and see Vincent.
***********************************
1,096...That chapter was 1,096 words long. How's that for an awesome 60th chapter? I hope that you all liked it as much as I loved writing this. I have to say, I think this was one of my most favorite chapters to write. I love bringing Tessa more into the story and Mia starting to take more control over her love life. Yay!

Questions:

1) What did you think about this chapter?

2) Tessa's advice: thoughts?

3) Mia's reaction to Jace kissing her: thoughts?

4) What do you think is going to happen with the Mia-Vincent-Jace love triangle?

5) Anyone want to be a character? I'm opening this back up because I'm thinking about having more people come and help out both sides, so feel free to comment what you want you character to be like. (looks, personality, what side you want to be on, name, and what you are (werewolf, vampire, etc))

6) Questions for the Ask the Characters section? It will be the next update that I post, so feel free to leave any questions that have to do with anything that you want.

7) Any other ideas for the rest of the story? Character's point of views you want to see?

Thank you all so much for reading, voting, and commenting. I love you all so much and, without you all, this book would never have become as popular as it has. Thank you all so so so so much.
-blackwolves16 (aka Megan)