Chapter 76

Mia's POV

There was an awkward silence for a few minutes before Jace finally broke it. "I'm glad you're doing better."

"Thank you, I am too. How are things going with you and Clary?"

"They're going...better than before."

"That's good."

...And more awkward silence. After waiting for Jace to say whatever it was he wanted to, I finally spoke up. "Is there actually something you wanted to talk to me about?"

"I feel like all of this is my fault," he blurted out almost immediately after I had finished talking.

"What?"

"I feel like I'm the one to blame for all of this happening. If I hadn't kissed you then you wouldn't have run away and all of this could have been avoided. I'm so stupid."

"Hey, look at me," I started, waiting for him to calm down enough to be able to. "One, you are not stupid. Two, there's no way to tell that all of this wouldn't have happened anyways."

"I just can't help blaming myself...and thinking about how all of this could have been avoided if I just didn't like you as much as I do."

"Jace, come sit," I said, patting the bed next to me.

He hesitated before making his way over to sit. I pushed myself up so I was sitting straighter before turning my attention back to him.

"I know that, no matter what I say, you're still going to blame yourself for everything. So, I'm not going to tell you to not do that. Instead, I'm going to just tell you the truth. Yes, you kissing me made me run off. Yes, Gray got me because of that. No, there's no way to know that all of this wouldn't have happened if you didn't kiss me."

"Is any of that supposed to make me feel better?"

I left out a soft laugh before saying, "No, I'm just stating facts. Which also included the fact that you can't control who you have feelings for. You also can't control the world. Shit happens, people get hurt, they fall for people...but the world keeps turning. People get better like I will. They find true love like you will."

"That doesn't change the fact that I like you and I'm pretty sure Vincent hates me for it."

"I can't speak for him on that. What I do know is you like me, but you love Clary. You two might fight and try to be with different people, but everyone here can tell how much you guys mean to each other."

Jace was silent for a few moments after I finished talking. Before he said anything, he reached over, took my hand, and gave it a slight squeeze. "Thank you. I really needed to hear all of that."

"Anytime," I replied, smiling at him.

He returned it and chuckled a little bit. "You're the one who's hurt and you're giving me advice. I feel like I should be doing that so you don't get hurt again."

"You can do that when I'm back on my feet and can actually practice what advice you give me."

"Deal."

I opened my mouth to say something, but ended up yawning instead.

"I should probably go so you can get some sleep. I'll let Magnus know."

"Thank you and don't be a stranger."

"I won't. Get better soon."

"I'll try my best."

He gave my hand one last squeeze before getting up and walking out the door. I slid back down until I was laying down and closed my eyes.

"Mia."

I opened my eyes and looked around. "Where am I?"

"You're dreaming. This is the safest way I could think of to talk to you without Gray knowing."

"Tyler?"

"Yeah, turn around."

I did and saw him standing there. "I'm so glad you're okay," I said as I pulled him into a big hug.

"I would say the same, but I saw the hit you took. They're taking care of you, right?"

"Of course they are," I said, pulling away.

"Good. You'll be back on your feet in no time."

I took a moment to actually look at him and noticed that he looked exhausted. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, Gray just has us training extra now that he lost his weapon. I'm tired, but I know he won't hurt me."

"You still should've come with us. I know you hate it here. Everyone at the Institute would've welcomed you, especially after I told them how much you helped me."

"I know, but my sister's still here. And it'll be very beneficial to have someone you trust on the inside. Gray trusts me, so he won't suspect a thing and I can let you know what he's planning."

"I'm still gonna be worrying about you."

"Come on, Mia. You should know I can take care of myself."

"How? I won pretty much every fight we had."

"That's a little harsh."

"But it's the truth."

We both laughed before he responded. "Yeah it is, as much as I really don't want to admit it."

"Because it's admitting that you got beat by a girl?"

"Pretty much."

"To be fair, I have powers that normal girls don't."

"True, true. I guess that makes the losses a tad more bearable."

"I'm glad it does."

We were both silent for a few moments before Tyler spoke up. "You should probably get back to doing whatever it was you were doing before you fell asleep."

"How will I be able to talk to you again?"

"Literally in your dreams. If it's extremely important, we have a mind link, so just think my name and I'll try to respond."

"Won't Gray know?"

"No. He made sure no one, not even himself, could read our minds. What he doesn't know about is the fact that I can create links."

I smiled and pulled him into another hug. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

Hugging me back, he took a deep breath. "No, but I'll try my best to stay out of trouble as long as you do the same."

"I'll try. Thank you for everything and don't be afraid to reach out if you need something," I said, pulling away.

"Anytime and I'll remember that. Talk to you later, Mia."

"Talk later."