Chapter 74

Mia's POV

What happened? I asked myself as I slowly opened my eyes. And why am I back at the Institute?

"Mia?"

I snapped my head up and immediately groaned when my head started pounding. "What happened?" I asked as I laid back down, closing my eyes.

"What do you remember?"

I heard a chair drag across the floor towards me. "Not much," I started, opening my eyes a little to see who I was talking to. "I was talking to Gray, then you guys came along with the other vampires. We talked, Tyler came running in...and then I woke up here."

"You don't remember the fight?"

"Should I?"

"Yeah. It's why you're in the infirmary."

"Seems legit," I mumbled as I tried to make sense of everything. "Wait...I'm back at the Institute. What happened with Gray? And Tyler, is he okay? And how did you guys manage to get me out? Why don't I want to go back?"

"Slow down. I'll explain everything, but first we need to make sure you're okay. I'm going to go get Magnus so he can check you out."

I nodded my head, or tried to, and felt Vincent kiss my forehead before walking towards the door. Smiling, I closed my eyes again and took a deep breath.

Mia?

Wh...Tyler?

Good, you're okay.

Why wouldn't I be?

Vincent will explain. I just had to make sure you were safe.

What about you? Are you okay?

For right now. Gray isn't too happy they took you, but I don't think he'll do anything too dramatic yet.

Why didn't you come with us?

You know I can't leave even if I wanted to.

You could -

Mia, I just can't. I have to go. I'll try to talk to you soon.

Be safe.

I'll try.

And just like that, my mind was silent. I groaned and brought my hands up to cover my face.

"Rough day?"

Taking my hands away from my face, I looked towards the door. "You could say that," I replied, trying to sit up, but giving up.

"Take it easy. You were hurt pretty badly."

"So I've been told."

"It's good to see you up and talking."

I returned his smile as best I could before closing my eyes. "My head's pounding."

"Does anything else hurt?" Magnus asked.

"Not really. I mean everything's sore, but that's to be expected after apparently being in a fight."

He chuckled before saying, "That's the spirit. There's only one thing I have to check and then that'll be it for me for a little bit."

I nodded my head and felt him move the blanket, sucking in a sharp breath when he pressed down on my stomach. Opening my eyes, I saw Magnus send me a small apologetic smile before blue sparks drew my gaze to his hands.

"What's that?"

"My powers. I'm a warlock. Warlock equals magic, at least for me," he replied, snapping his fingers. The motion sent sparks flying and I couldn't help smiling. He returned it before moving the blanket back. "You're a strong one, but not completely healed. As much as you might not like this, I'm going to have to insist that you stay here, at least for the day."