-YOUR MOVE, LIGHTBOURN-

• • •

• • •

you return like autumn, 

and I fall every time

• • •

Rose Potter didn't sleep a wink the night Sirius Black had broken into Hogwarts. Even when she heard Fred's soft snored besides her, her mind could only bring up the image of the Fat Lady's portrait being torn apart. 

When the Gryffindors went back to their common, it was only to find that the fat lady had been replaced by the portrait of Sir Cadogan, the most annoying portrait of a knight Rose had ever met; and with all her time in Hogwarts she had met a few. 

• • •

October quickly turned into November, giving everyone the chance to cool off about the Sirius Black incident. Rose Potter, however, had a bigger dilemma in her mind, Cedric Diggory. By then, they had gone in a few dates and Cedric had officially asked her to be his girlfriend, but even then Rose did not fail to notice that her best friend, Fred Weasley, tended to bring a new date to Hogsmeade the two times she had been there after Halloween. It shouldn't've bothered her, but it did. It really did, and she did not know how to make it not bother her. 

"Everyone, settle down," Professor Lupin said at his class of fifth years in late November, this was one of the few lessons he would have with them before the holidays. "In today's lesson we'll be reviewing what we have learned over the last months. Can anyone tell me what that is?" 

Amara Morgenstern, to Rose's surprise, raised her hand eagerly. 

"Yes, Amara," Remus said. 

"We've learned to produce a Patronus," she said happily. 

"Brilliant," Remus clapped his hands. "Anything else?" 

"The stupefy charm, sir?" Adrian Pucey said. "And we learned how to  use several defensive spells." 

"Exactly right," Remus said with pride. "Five points to both Gryffindor and Slytherin! Now, who can demonstrate?" 

Rose shrunk in her seat desperately, pretending to be reading her book, however, they hadn't even opened their book in Remus' class. 

"How about Rose and Fred?" Remus suggested, looking clearly into his god daughter's sad attempt to hide. 

Rose stood from her seat grumpily, followed by Fred who had almost completely mastered the patronus charm. 

"What shall we do?" Rose asked, afraid of his answer. 

"How about we start simple, shall we?" Remus suggested, making Rose flinch. "Fred, you'll fire the stupefy charm and Rose will try to deflect it."