-WATCH YOUR BACKS-

• • •

• • •

whoever is delighted in solitude 

is either a wild beast or a god

• • •

"Weasleys! Jordan! Will you pay attention!"

The twins and Lee jumped and looked up when Professor McGonagall's enraged voice shattered through the Transfiguration class on Thursday. Rose snorted, receiving a glare from Professor McGonagall too. Rose's head stung when she looked up to her Professor; her and Adrian's lessons were tiring her out, she couldn't even look at Fred anymore without getting the urge to set him on fire. 

It was the end of the lesson, Rose was sitting beside Amara with the twins and Lee in the table behind them; apparently Lee and the twins had made amends and were, as they said, 'better than ever!'.

The boys dropped what they were playing with, Rose reckoned they were messing with some of their trinkets and muffled their laughter with their hands.

"Thank you, boys, I know it must be hard to listen," McGonagall said sternly, not taking her eyes from the troublemakers. "I must now share something with you all. The Yule Ball, a staple of the Triwizard Tournament and a chance for us to mingle with our visitors from abroad, is quickly approaching. Now, only fourth years will have access to the ball-"

"Oh, Salazar, The Yule Ball!" Amara whispered in Rose's ear; the red head felt her own excitement raising through her throat but as her eyes settled into Fred's, it faded away. McGonagall ignored Amara, and some of other girls who were giggling at her announcement. "We'll have so much fun!"

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now then-"

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to – er – let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.

The girls besides Rose, Angelina and Katie, giggled louder than ever, with both their hands pressed against their mouths to try and stifle the laughter. Rose and Amara themselves were working hard on keeping their poker faces on.

"But that does NOT mean," Professor McGonagall went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

"Not to worry, Professor-" Fred began, his voice noble and smooth. His voice made Rose flinched, Amara noticed. She gave Rose a questioning look, but Rose simply smiled and nodded. 

"I am ESPECIALLY worried about YOU, Mr. Weasley!" McGonagall snapped, pointing her finger at Fred. The bell rang, but when the gang tried to walk out of the classroom, McGonagall spoke again. "Weasleys, Potter, Jordan and Morgenstern! The five of you, stay back!"