-ST. MUNGO'S-

• • •

• • •

here I am alone

between the heavens and the embers

• • •

With only eighteen years old, Adrian Pucey felt as if he would have a heart attack at any moment. He wondered if his vital organ could take more stress than the one that was running through his veins at the moment. His eyes were swollen and heavy, begging for rest, the way they had been for days now. He fought back a yawn as he stared up at Rose, his heart aching and clenching.

She laid unresponsive in a white hospital bed of St Mungo's; her skin was unhealthily pale, and the green decor of the room only made her seem even sicker. Red hair mattered and stuck onto her skin. Her arms were bandaged on her sides, both having been too maimed for the healers to restore them completely; she'd have scars for the rest of her life.

Adrian heard loud footsteps entering Rose's private room; he'd move heaven and earth to get her into the best room and healers St. Mungo's could provide. He turned his head slowly, catching a glimpse of flaming red hair before Charlie Weasley finally stepped into the room.

"You really should go home," the Weasley said, assessing the bags under Adrian's eyes. "You haven't left since she got here."

"And I won't until she leaves with me," Adrian grunted from his chair besides Rose's bed, his arms crossed over his chest in a manner that made him look like a stubborn child.

Charlie rolled his eyes at his words, but he understood completely how Adrian was feeling. Charlie had been amazed at the way Adrian looked at Rose; he looked at her as if he realized what love is, and Charlie could not have wished for something better for Rose.

"Have you heard anything from Dumbledore?" Adrian asked, turning his full attention to Charlie after he laid one hand on Rose's bed.

"Nothing," he shook his head, but pulled out the Daily Prophet from his back pocket. "But apparently Rita Skeeter had some things to say about the Tournament; Harry's saying You-Know-Who is back."

"Stupid Potter," Adrian huffed, taking the Daily Prophet from Charlie. "He should've waited until Rose was awake to start this up; he'll only get more trouble for himself with the Ministry."

Charlie stayed silent, examining Adrian as his eyes moved over the pages of the article. Finally, Charlie spoke, "I'm leaving for Romania, I wanted to see her before I left; I've been away for far too long."

"If you need to go back because of money-"

"It's not because of that," Charlie interrupted him harshly, glaring at him for a second before his eyes traveled over Rose. "They need me back at the sanctuary; apparently this You-Know-Who rumors reached them and we need to calm the situation before it gets out of hand."