-THE CHARM BRACELET-

• • •

• • •

is it safe to just be who we are?

• • •

"So, are we going to talk about it?" George Weasley asked, his voice loud in the dormitory. Rose Potter, who was sitting over a desk, glared at George.

"If we're going to talk about it, shouldn't Amara be here?" Rose asked, her voice highly unusual as she paced the boy's dormitory. She was toying with the ring on her finger whilst biting her lip at the same time. "I feel like she should be here. I'll go fetch her-"

"I'll go fetch Morgenstern," Fred said, walking to Rose and settling her to take a seat in his bed. "You stay here." He walked out of the dormitory.

"What's got his wand in a knot," scoffed Rose, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Oh, I don't know, Rosie," George began, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Don't you reckon perhaps it has to do with the fact that you were hit with an Unforgivable and you weren't affected? Or you know, maybe he's just had a bad day, who knows?"

Rose wanted to speak; she wanted to say something back to him, but she didn't. She shut her mouth and turned her head to face the window. Seconds later, Fred came into the dormitory with Amara Morgenstern following behind.

Amara examined the scene she had entered; Rose Potter sat in one of the beds, arms crossed, and head turned away from the boys. George Weasley was glaring at his red haired best friend, as Lee Jordan browsed through pages of a quidditch magazine, his back against the headboard of his bed.

"Don't tell me," she chuckled, all eyes turning to her. "We're here to talk about Rose, aren't we?"

"Yes!" Three voices replied.

"No!" Rose rushed out, her eyes pleading to her cousin.

"Rosie," Amara said, taking a seat beside her; the boys let her, knowing that if anyone would get the truth out of Rose would be her. "He cast an unforgivable on you and it didn't affect you. That's something that needs to be talked about!"

"I told you all," Rose said, her voice harsher now. "He must've been tired from casting all those Imperious on you lot!"

"But, that's not possible!" Fred said impatiently, his hands were in his hair, indicating frustration. "How is it that it worked on everyone except you?!"

"He must've pronounced the spell wrong or something!" Rose remarked, the guilt in her face could be seen by everyone in the room. "Perhaps his wand work, or-"

"This has to do with your elemental, doesn't it?" Amara asked, her voice barely above a whisper but Rose's face was all the confirmation she needed. "That's why you were so nervous when he called you up. You knew it wouldn't work on you but you couldn't say why; not in front of everyone."

"That's not true-"

"You've never lost a duel..." Lee realized, having heard all the conversation, and barely putting the pieces together; the twins looked at the three with lost expressions. "You've never lost a duel. Not one." 

"I lost the one with Pucey," Rose chimed in, trying to get the attention off her.

"But you wanted to lose that one," Amara said, her eyes were staring at the floor, but Rose could tell that her cousin's mind was working fast with the information she had. Amara suddenly looked up; her eyes wide as she stared at her cousin. "You're immune to spells!"

"Wait, what?!" The twins yelled out, both of them standing to face the cousins; Lee, who had obviously been thinking it as well, rushed to Amara's side.

"Ames, I don't know what you're on about-" Rose scoffed, her voice shaking as she pushed her hair behind her ears.

"You knew," Lee realized, his whisper hurt.

"What? Of course, I didn't know, Lee-" Rose said, but her lip trembled, and she toyed with her charm bracelet. The look on Lee's eye, the betrayal, made Rose let her tonged loose. "I had a suspicion."  

Amara huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and standing from the bed whilst pacing around the dorm. "A suspicion," she mumbled under her breathe. Amara stopped pacing directly before Rose, staring her down with a glare. "A SUSPICION?!"

"Ames-"

"Rose, no more lies, talk!" Amara ordered. The twins, who had been standing a little behind quietly, walked closer to Rose and stood side by side with Amara and Lee.

Rose's eyes switched and connected to everyone in the room; her fingers fidgeted with her charm bracelet and bit her lip. All of the sudden, when the little fire charm between her fingers burned, her eyes sparked brightly. She stood from the bed, rushing to the other side of the room, and opening her arms.

"Hit me with something, Ames," she said, her gaze not leaving Amara.

"What?!" The four other Gryffindors yelled.

"You heard me," she challenged, a mysterious glint in her eyes. "Hit me."

"Wait, Rose-" Fred began, putting his hands up.

"STUPEFY!" Amara screamed, her wand emitting a stunning red light towards her cousin. However, the red head did not move; she didn't feel even a tiny glimpse of the hex Amara had thrown at her.

"What the fuck," George gasped under his breathe. "You are immune to spells."

"No, I'm not," she said, an aery tone in her voice. "I'm not immune to spells."

"Rose, what are you talking about?" Fred said, his expression getting angrier by the second. "We just saw Amara try to hex you!"

"Yes, but I am not immune to spells!" She repeated. She fumbled with her charm bracelet again, ripping it off and forcing it to Amara's wrist.

Rose walked to the other side of the room again, wiping out her wand and firing Amara with the same spell she had used. However, Amara didn't get so much as a scratch.

"What?"

"It's the bracelet!" Rose smiled, pointing at the charms that was placed on Amara's wrist. "The bracelet is the one who's immune to spells!"

"Alright, she's officially lost her marbles!" Lee announced.

"No, no I have not!" She said, fetching her charm bracelet again. She turned her eyes at the twins. "Remember the summer following our first year? I uncovered my elemental. After our second year, I returned to Edale and gifted my mother and Savannah a necklace. It wasn't just a silly present; I had tried to put part of my elemental in it and create a fire barrier between them and anyone who tried to harm them, but I assumed it didn't work because the fire barrier never emerged if I was attacked while wearing mine."

The faces of everyone in the room were growing more and more cautious by the second.

"I never thought-" she said, her voice slipping off as she stared at the floor, her mind clearly working fast. "Merlin, how could I have been so stupid!" 

"Let me get this straight," Amara interrupted her cousin's train of thought. "You placed part of your elemental in your jewelry without knowing it would make whoever was wearing them immune to offending magic?"

"Yeah, I reckon you got it, Ames," Rose chuckled, passing a hand through her hair.

"Holly shit."