-THE 'L' WORD-.

• • • 

Your heart will never lie to you, 

that's your brain's job.

• • • 

ROSE'S POV: 

We were finally returning to school after the holidays. Even though I had a great time with everyone over the day, at night I would think of my mother's letter. I couldn't help but wonder what would happen when I got back. My parents weren't stone cold, but they were never the affectionate type either. They never told each other the L word, and never said it to me either. Dad was often busy working, and mum was always making me study. The first time my parents got mad at me I was five. I wanted to go play with our neighbours, but my mother wouldn't let me. My neighbours played for the next couple of days as well, so I decided to sneak out for a couple of minutes to play with them. Either way, before I could step out of the house my mother yanked me back from my arm. She had beated me up and told me that it would be worse the next time I tried something. 

When ever I did something wrong, my mother would slap me or pull my hair. My father never objected, in fact he had some goes at me as well. I didn't understand the severity of their action until one day, my mother was in a rampage of rage and with a knife she slit open my right wrist. I will never forget the look on her face, it was a mixture of glee, guilt, panic, and shock. 

After that one time, my mother never hurt me again. I suspected she was scared that if someone were to find out, she'd end up in muggle prison. My father however, didn't mind at all, as he kept up the beatings whenever I did anything that wasn't perfect. Over time I learned to be indifferent towards the situation, almost numb. 

"Rose?" I heard a voice, I turned to my right side and saw Fred staring at me with concern. We were currently on our way back to school, the twins and I were sharing a compartment with Lee. 

"Yeah?" I answered Fred. 

"We are almost there, you should change into your robes." Fred told me. I nodded and grabbed my robes from my trunk, I left the compartment without a word. 

FRED'S POV:

All the way back to Hogwarts, neither Rose or I spoke. She seemed to be thinking something over, and I was remembering the letter that her parents send her. George did a comment about how we needed to put on our robes. I looked over at Rose and saw her staring out the window. 

"Rose?" I asked her. She turned to look at me and her eyes were white. I still hadn't figured out what the color meant, but I was sure it meant nothing nice. 

"Yeah?" She answered. Her voice held no emotion, her eyes didn't shift to another colour once. She sounded hollow and void.   

"We are almost there, you should change into your robes." I informed her. She nodded  and left the compartment. I looked over at Lee and George who were chatting carelessly. 

"What is going on with you?" George asked me. Lee turned to face me as well. 

"I'm worried about her." I told them. Lee's face was filled with confusion, and George's face drew back to understandment before it shifted to confusion.  

"Wait! Because of the letter?" George asked.

"What letter?" Lee asked. I wasn't sure if Lee knew that Rose was adopted and I didn't want to give out more information then needed.  

"Does it have something to do with the fact that she is adopted?" Lee asked when we didn't answer his first question. George's and my eyebrows shot up in shock. He knew?