The Assassination of JFK

This week on Mystery Unsolved Inc True Crime, we cover the assassination of John F. Kennedy, a topic of controversy for over five decades. Was there actually a conspiracy?

Reynard relays the information, "On Friday, November 22nd, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was publicly assassinated while sitting in a car in a motorcade through Dallas, Texas. Kennedy was struck by two bullets, with the second being a fatal headshot. Governor John B. Connally Jr., who was in the car with JFK, was also hit in the shooting, but survived. Officially, there were three bullets fired by the gunman. The horrifying act was caught on film by a man named Abraham Zapruder with his eight-millimeter film camera. The film, now referred to as the Zapruder film, would later go on to be integral into the investigation as it allowed for frame-by-frame analysis. The shooting occurred from the sixth floor window at the southeast corner of the Texas School Book Depository, a building along the motorcade route. The official ruling was that the gunman was a man named Lee Harvey Oswald. Two days after the assassination, Oswald was killed by a man named Jack Ruby at the Dallas Police Department. In fact, that shooting was broadcast on live television."

"Returning to JFK, there are many who have criticized the motorcade route, believing it to have an unusual amount of turns, which would have caused the motorcade to have to slow down. The route was chosen by Secret Service agents, Winston G. Lawson and Forrest V. Sorrels. Secret Servicemen sent in advance to check out the route noted that there were over twenty thousand windows overlooking the route. But since they didn't have enough men to station at every window, they opted to inspect none of the windows along the route."

"One week after the assassination, newly sworn-in President and former Vice President, Lyndon B. Johnson, created a commission to investigate the circumstances of the JFK assassination and subsequent killing of Lee Harvey Oswald. This commission was to be headed by Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren and staffed with other esteemed officials, And while the official findings of the commission believes there was only one shooter, it does have one thing in common with numerous conspiracy theories, that the shooter was Lee Harvey Oswald. And with that, let's get into the main theory, which is the official ruling by the Warren Commission that Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated JFK alone, with no conspiracy involved. Let's get into the background of Lee Harvey Oswald. Oswald had been in Russia in 1959 and had tried to renounce his American citizenship. Oswald had a history of violence from a young age. He once chased a half-brother with a knife. And while in the Marine Corps, where he spent three years, he became qualified as a sharpshooter with the M-1 rifle. Oswald, a Dallas resident, was actually under active surveillance by the FBI office in Dallas. However, the local FBI strangely did not inform the Secret Service about Oswald. This is especially shocking considering the fact that Oswald was employed at the Texas School Book Depository, a location right along the motorcade route, from where Oswald would eventually fire the fatal shots from the southeast corner of the sixth floor window. However, to be fair, the Secret Service did not inform the local FBI office of the motorcade route either."

"Here are direct quotes from the Warren Commission in regards to evidence proving Oswald was the shooter. 'The Mannlicher-Carcano 6.5-millimeter Italian rifle from which the shots were fired was owned by and in the possession of Oswald,' This was determined due to the fact that there was a nearly whole bullet recovered from Governor Connally's stretcher, and two bullet fragments in the car that matched that rifle. 'To the exclusion of all other weapons,' The rifle was found hidden near the sixth floor window, as well as three bullet cartridges matching the three shots heard. Continuing with the commission's evidence, 'Oswald had attempted to kill Major General Edwin A. Walker on April 10th, 1963, thereby demonstrating his disposition to take human life,'"

"Furthermore, Oswald unquestionably also killed Dallas policeman J. D. Tippit with a revolver approximately forty-five minutes after the assassination. This is backed up by eyewitness testimony and also due to the cartridge cases found at the scene belonging to a revolver on Oswald at the time of his arrest, among other things as well."