Curtis Joseph

The silence of Aster City was suddenly broken by a 1955 Peterbilt 281 truck crashing through the woods.

The 1955 Peterbilt 281 truck thundered back and forth several times that morning. Two other campers have a dangerously close encounter. 

Later that day, a carload of picnickers came upon the truck, now mired in a field.

Late Sunday afternoon, a police officer followed up on reports of a 1955 Peterbilt 281 truck marooned in the woods.

The driver was gone. When the police officer checked the National Crime computer, he found no reports of either a missing truck or driver.

The same day, a long-distance trucker named Curtis Joseph was reported missing. Curtis wasn't the type to dump a truck. But this was Curtis' truck.

Curtis Joseph is a large male Saint Bernard dog that has brown and white fur. Curtis Joseph was last seen wearing an open red plaid jacket, a white T-shirt with a black pair of sunglasses on them, and jeans held up by a brown belt with a gold buckle.

By Sunday morning, Curtis Joseph was off the map, barreling through the woods, miles from any highway. To this day, no one knows why. None of the theories make sense.

Reports that Joseph was disoriented and incoherent prompted suspicions that he was on drugs. But that didn't fit Curtis Joseph.

-

Update, nearly two years after Curtis disappeared, and just a half-mile from where he had last been seen, hikers discovered a skull.

Dental records confirm the skull did belong to Curtis Joseph. Oddly, it was found in a remote area that had been thoroughly searched two years before. The cause of Curtis' death and his bizarre behavior is still an unsolved mystery.