Tommy Boe

"Female serial killers do exist but overall the gender gap stands pretty stark

"Female serial killers do exist but overall the gender gap stands pretty stark. Women only account for somewhere between ten and sixteen percent of all cases."

"It all begins with solid role models examples of strong women who smashed the glass ceiling with a bloodied hatchet. That's the kind of case we're bringing you today, the story of Tommy Boe, a dog wrestler turned murderer who targeted dozens of helpless elderly ladies in a twisted campaign of revenge."

"Boe's gender did play a crucial part in her case partly because she never matched the standard stereotype of a serial killer so she was able to rack up an eye-watering body count over a three-year spree while the authorities were left chasing their tails."

"On November 25th, 2002, someone knocked on the door of an apartment. A sixty-four year old opened it just to crack to see who was there. A social worker from the local council. The woman invited them into her home, the next day the old woman's body was found on the floor of her living room. She had been beaten then strangled to death barehanded. When the police arrived they found the apartment looted and little trace of the culprit beyond a few fingerprints. Newspapers speculated that this was the latest in a long line of killings by the same culprit nicknamed The Old Lady Killer. However, the police asserted that this evil pensioner hunter was a myth conjured up by media sensation."

"While the overactive imaginations of journalists may have been to blame up until now, that was all about change, nobody knew it at the time but the killing of the little old lady was the first in a long line of murders by a new genuine serial killer who would become one of the worst the city had ever seen."

"The next person to fall prey was an eighty-four year old woman. On March the 2nd 2003, she was strangled just like the first victim. The same happened with another eighty-four year old in July. Then on October 9th another woman was found tied to a chair, both of her arms were fractured and she had been strangled to death. There was another victim. Less than two weeks later an eighty-five year old woman was killed by a phone power cord. The frequency of the killings was shocking and each new case offered little in the way of fresh evidence, the likelihood of The Old Lady Killer being a figment of some reporter's imaginations was growing extremely slim, the modus operandi was too similar in each case. Elderly victims tricked into letting a stranger into their homes and they were strangled to death and then robbed. Now and then fingerprints would turn up they linked the cases together and slowly the police started to realize that stubbornly denying the existence of the killer was a mistake, some claim that even though the authorities already suspected a serial killer was a large, political inviting between the city council and federal government led them to keep the information under wraps."

"After two more victims met their end in the final months of 2003, the police managed to gather some eyewitness reports. Some people had seen a potential suspect hanging around the area on the day of the crimes. They were dressed in a female nurse's uniform. Sketch artists produced a pair of portraits depicting a dog-faced individual, one distinctly chubby and the other with softer features. These were released to the public with the individual listed as only a person of interest so as not to cause a panic."