Vol. 4.5: Chapter 2.1 - A Normal Day Out

"It's getting pretty hot..."

Summer comes with the blazing heat of the sun. I can't really say much. That's just how it is during this season. I opted to go out in casual clothes, but apart from exposing more of my skin to the sun, nothing too drastic has changed.

"Let's eat here!"

"Okay, let's go!"

"I love this place!"

A group of senior girls happily passed by me as they went inside a restaurant in Keyaki Mall. They were all wearing summer clothes. People flooded the entire place mainly because we're in the heat of vacation, no pun intended. Students donning their casual wear could be seen anywhere I looked. I could only stand aside and observe them for now.

"Ah, you're here~!"

"Ohh, are those new clothes?"

Two girls called out as they approached me. They were classmates and close friends of mine-- Azuma Sana and Ichihashi Ruri.

"You can tell if it's new?"

"Girls have that ability. Didn't you know?" Ichihashi smirked in response.

I shook my head helplessly.

"You look good on it, though."

"Both of you look great, too," I returned the compliment.

I don't really have a great sense of fashion, and I didn't have time to buy my own clothes yesterday. That said, my savior, Hirata-sama, offered to buy me a set since he went out shopping with some friends in the afternoon. It's a good thing that the two of us have a similar build and I'm glad I let him do my bidding for this one.

"So you're the first one that arrived, huh? I'm sure they'll be here soon, though." Azuma looked around with a hum. "Ah-! Speak of the devil, there they are!"

It didn't take long before three more people came along. There were two guys and a girl-- Kikuchi Eita, Sugarawa Kazuto, and Nishimura Ryuuko.

(Head to the A/N section for Sugawara and Kikuchi's tentative illustrations.)

"Yo," waved Sugawara.

"I thought you'd still be asleep today, Ayanokouji." Kikuchi slightly nudged my side.

"I considered that idea."

"Of course, you did." 

I was actually invited to hang out with them last night, and I wouldn't really decline any invitations without a proper reason.

Our plans for today? Karaoke.

I managed to dodge this bullet on far too many occasions. It's finally time for me to pay my dues...

Inside the air-conditioned room, Azuma and Ichihashi started things off with a duet. Well, the song wasn't really supposed to be sung by two people, but they said it's their perk for singing first. Kikuchi got everyone's requests and ordered the food, while Ryuuko, Sugawara, and I cheered and chatted.

"♪ Sora wo oshi agete ♪ 
♪ Te wo nobasu kimi go-gatsu no koto ♪
♪ Douka kite hoshii ♪"

"I'm surprised you accepted their invitation," said Ryuuko.

Even if I was never explicit about it, I'm sure everyone felt that I didn't like karaoke, so her comment was reasonable.

"Yeah," followed Sugawara. "Kikuchi and I didn't really have our hopes up when we invited you, but hey, what a pleasant surprise."