Vol. 5: Chapter 8.1 - I Don't Really Care

I was asked to come by the student council room around this time, but I don't really see anyone around the hallway.

"Oh, it's you."

Of course, that didn't last long after Ibuki came walking in the direction I was from.

"Did Ryuuen ask you to come here?" I asked.

"Obviously. I wouldn't have any business here otherwise. What about you?"

Before I could respond, the door finally opened and a pair of students came out of the room with Secretary Tachibana accompanying them. Of course, they were none other than Horikita and Ryuuen.

"Well then," she bowed slightly before closing the door once more.

"Oh, Ayanokouji. How's Kikyou doing?" he asked.

"She's cleaning her room," I replied.

"So the two of you went ahead on your own, huh?" said Ibuki.

"Kukuku. That goes without saying. As a lackey, you don't really have a place inside that room," shrugged Ryuuen.

"I'm nobody's lackey!" she spat.

The four of us started walking. We were supposed to have our talk around the resting area near the track and field.

Ryuuen stayed relaxed and unguarded as he stole glimpses from the unsurveilled hallways without cameras hidden on the ceiling. It almost felt like he had fully memorized which specific hallways didn't have any cameras monitoring them.

"The deal's over Ayanokouji-kun. We've removed all copies of the recordings that we had. If the school finds out that we're hiding any extra copies, the new contract states that the perpetrator will be penalized with expulsion, along with a deduction of 500 class points," explained Horikita.

"That's pretty hardcore."

"It's a fitting punishment for the desperate, don't you think?" Ryuuen said. "I'm quite satisfied with the terms. The damage that our recordings would've dealt to each other wasn't equal, to begin with. A lot of us might've been suspended or even expelled. Meanwhile, only Kikyou would take a hit on your end."

"What? Is there something up with that Kushida girl?" asked the confused Ibuki.

"The deal might've been in your favor, but I hope you'd refrain from talking about the details from now on," I sighed.

"Kukuku. Sure, that's my bad," he replied before facing Ibuki. "You heard what he said, Ibuki. I can't answer your question. I still have taste despite being their enemy."

"Stop your gloating, Ryuuen-kun. We were also forbidden from verbally spreading anything as a condition. Even if you tell your classmates secretly, in the off chance that the information metastasizes to the student body, you and all of your accomplices will suffer the punishment."

"How scary," Ryuuen scoffed, turning to us with an insidious grin. "But don't bother wasting your breath to remind me, Suzune. I don't really care either way. Regarding Kikyou's little secret... Well, she doesn't need to worry about me."

No, she doesn't-- Not you, at least.

"Hey, Ayanokouji. Are you seriously stepping down?" Ibuki asked out of nowhere.

"Oi, Ibuki. I called you here as a listener and a witness, so all you need to do is shut up. If I wanted someone to run their mouth off, I would've brought Kaneda or Hiyori."

"I know that, but I don't see an opportunity where I can ask him this question again anytime soon. I just want an answer."

Instead of bantering with Ryuuen, Ibuki gave him a serious response. Hearing that, Ryuuen glanced at me.