Vol. 7: Chapter 8.1 - Time to Settle Things

It was soon after starting elementary school that I realized I was abnormal. I found a large snake on a class field trip. Some students watched with great interest from a safe distance. Some were scared, some couldn't care less, and some wanted the snake to go away. Most, however, wanted the snake to die. Even the adults panicked, crying out for someone to help.

So, I grabbed a big rock and bashed the snake's head in. I might have gotten bit, but I wasn't afraid of that. 

My classmates screamed, and the teachers were in a panic. I wasn't trying to be a hero by destroying the snake everyone feared. I wasn't trying to impress everyone. I didn't care about any of that. I just didn't see the need to be afraid of it.

I learned something about myself that day.

Fear and pleasure are two sides of the same coin to me. And when my enemy starts to fear me, I feel unimaginable amounts of pleasure. The moment an enemy succumbs, a huge rush of adrenaline courses through my entire body.

Violence rules the world, and the effectiveness of your particular brand of violence determines what you accomplish. The snake's death was my first unshakeable victory, and the sight of its flattened corpse gave me such pleasure. The violence I'd used was simple and effective. Well, you could argue that violence itself is simple and effective. And that's exactly why it's become my main weapon.

The fact remains, however, that people are hostile towards those they sense are different from them. And because I was never afraid, I never saw the need to respect anyone. That's why I've had many enemies since that day, both internal and external.

Even so, I didn't falter once no matter how strong my enemies were. If someone bested me, all I thought about was how to get revenge and turn the tables on them. Even if I lose a battle, it doesn't matter as long I win the war. Eventually, they would all bow to me. Those who possess an unparalleled capacity for violence are truly the elite. There was just one problem, and it grew as I did. It became increasingly difficult for me to feel that same pleasure.

I was bored-- bored that no one could fulfill my dearest wish to be overthrown.

Perhaps I'd only meet my match in death.

December 22nd, Wednesday.

"This brings us to the end of homeroom," said Sakagami-sensei. "I'd like to remind everyone to please be on your best behavior, even during winter vacation, and make good use of your time. That's all."

I took out my phone as I listened to his corporate and scripted rambling. Today was the day of the closing ceremony-- the final day of the second semester. Our class finished early, leaving us free by the afternoon. There were no club activities either. The school encouraged students to head back early, so hardly anyone would be left in the building.

In other words, it was finally time to strike. 

"I've gotten hold of the necessary information to lure Kikyou out, and I'll use Kikyou to lure Ayanokouji out," I muttered to myself while glancing at the others. "And it seems like everyone else is ready to take on their role."

I suddenly felt excited. It was about time I settled my score with Ayanokouji. Time and time again, he would shamelessly interrupt my plans. This time, there will be no way out for him.

During the Paper Shuffle, I'd managed to expel one of their students while putting pressure on him. Because Ayanokouji was repeatedly framed as a traitor, even if his reputation didn't fall, seeds of doubt would still be planted. And so far, tailing the four leaders did wonders in making Kikyou's mental drop. I started asking around about her which made her feel isolated and targeted. The final nail in the coffin would be the picture I'd sent to her.