Vol. 6: Chapter 9.1 - Reliance

"There's been more of them than usual... but I guess I only have myself to blame..." I muttered before walking inside the classroom.

Everyone who wasn't busy greeted me with a smile. I did my best to reply, but as I've been doing the same thing for the past seven months or so, I can safely say that I'm pretty much used to it. I noticed a slight difference in Hirata's usual demeanor as I walked along the vacant aisles. 

Class started and ended as usual with the teachers constantly reminding us to prepare for the upcoming final exam. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that we were ready, so as a member of our class, I didn't have to worry about that.

I got up from my chair and got ready for lunch. The enthusiastic Haruka and Airi told the three guys of the Ayanokouji Group that they made bento for all of us. But before I could approach Akito and the others, Satou suddenly approached me.

"Say, Ayanokouji-kun. Can I have some of your time? Just for a bit..."

She was uncharacteristically meek. Whenever Satou would talk to me, she was always friendly. While she didn't exude the same confidence as Kikyou or Karuizawa, Satou wasn't the type of girl to shy away when talking to a boy.

"Sure," I replied.

After notifying my friends, Satou and I walked to a corner where people didn't necessarily hang around. It was a hotspot for girls who wanted to gossip.

 It was a hotspot for girls who wanted to gossip

"Um... How have you been feeling lately...?" she asked.

"Me? Oh, I'm fine. Is there a problem?"

"W-Well... I was worried if, you know, some people might be bothering you..." Satou played with her hair as she talked.

It was a feminine body language typical of girls who are bashful or coy... but in this case, Satou looked genuinely worried. And rather than bashful, she looked embarrassed.

"Ohh... I don't think anyone's bothering me apart from Ryuuen's goons. Should I keep a lookout for someone?"

"No, no, it's okay!" Satou waved her hands in a panic before turning heel. "If there's no one bothering you, then it's alright. I was just worried. Later!"

"No, no, it's not alright. As I said, Ryuuen and his classmates are bothering me..." I thought.

Before I could respond, she promptly ran away.

Satou is clearly worried about some other person bothering me, but I have no idea who they are. Unless... she's somehow connected to the abnormal increase of female attention on me. That seems like a stretch, and a bit self-conscious, but I'll keep it in mind anyway.

During lunch, I wasn't particularly questioned about my conversation with Satou. It was common for me to be approached by the girls in our class for a private talk during breaks. Most of them would ask me for advice, much like how they do with Hirata. In fact, they approached me because of Hirata's recommendation.