Vol. 4.5: Chapter 9.3 - For Someone's Sake

"So... What am I doin' here, Kiyotaka?" 

I sent Ken a text to meet up with me and now he's here. From the looks of his get-up, it seems like he just finished his club activities. Ken gave Katsuragi a dubious stare as soon he entered my room. Of course, the other party was the same. 

On another note, asking Ken to come here wasn't the only content of my message.

I explained the whole situation to him before finally letting them hear about my plan.

"So obviously, the plan is to use Ken's tournament as an opportunity to mail this." I handed him the invoice I got from the post office. "Katsuragi, I want you to fill this up with your information. You should also change your ordering preferences and choose the delivery option. It should be fine as long as you're willing to pay the fee."

"That's fine, but wouldn't the school find out about the transaction? Everything will be recorded under my name. We'll both be in trouble."

"Well, not really. That's because you'll only set the delivery on stand-by. As long you don't ask them to deliver the product inside the campus, the school wouldn't know about it."

"How can you be sure?" he asked.

"The school provided us with our own smartphones and SIM cards. Because of that, the communication lines and internet access that are done through them can be tracked down. However, that wouldn't be the case if we don't use any of the WiFi connections inside the campus or use mobile data with the provided SIM cards."

"Why wouldn't the school know about your plan, then? Can you explain how their detection process works?"

"The detection only goes one way-- from the student's device to the school's system. For example, if you request that the store deliver it now, they will always ask for your confirmation via email. Since the destination of the delivery will be outside, the school will be alerted but only by your confirmation."

"So you're saying that if Sudou confirms the delivery by either using a foreign WiFi connection or a new SIM card, the school will not be alerted?"

Of course, Ken wouldn't be doing it on-site. That's the purpose of the invoice.

"Yeah. The devices of the store employees inside the campus weren't provided by the school, which means they're using their own computers, phones, and SIM cards. And from what I know, they wouldn't detect anything from the store personnel's devices even if they use the school's WiFi connection."

"But Kiyotaka... wouldn't the store just snitch?" asked Ken.

"You don't have to worry about that. When Kikyou and I shopped for some gifts, the store gave us an option to ship things outside, and that meant two things. They left the option open because they weren't informed about the school rules, or they know about the rules, but the school allowed them to leave that option available to catch any rule-breakers. Of course, the store wouldn't have to snitch on any of them since the school can detect the transaction process from the guilty student's device."

"If it's the latter, then the school is a piece of shit," grumbled Ken.

"Well, it is pretty despicable, but I don't think that tops their scheme of keeping the S-System a secret for the first month," I commented.

"That's true..."

"I can more or less understand everything now, but I would like to ask a question about this matter." Katsuragi narrowed his eyes and stared at me. "I doubt Sudou would have the opportunity to buy a new SIM card, so he'd probably use the free WiFi connection from the venue. But even if that was the case, what would you do if the school finds out about it by tracking his device's IP address?"