Vol. 4.5: Chapter 12.2 - Chain of Misfortune

"Did you have fun?"

Airi and I walked out of the tent. I glanced at her side profile, seeing her satisfied smile.

"Mn, that was really fun! Thanks for taking me there, Kiyotaka-kun."

The contents of fortune-telling were partially template-based. They mix common generalizations with truths based on cold-reading deductions. If done properly, their words could easily excite the listener.

"The waiting line was a bit of a pain, but as long as you're happy with the result..." I peeked down at the café on the 2nd floor and my thirst for liquid consumption amplified. "You still wanna head to that café for a drink?"

"Yes... I'm pretty parched. How about you?"

"I'm the same. Let's go there before we go home."

However, it was the elevator near the event hall that was crowded this time.

"As expected, the 4th floor is still packed with people, isn't it?" commented Airi.

The two of us walked towards the other elevator and entered without any incident. It didn't seem like anyone else would enter with us, so I pressed the button to close the car door. We felt the elevator move downwards. I stared at the "4" on the indicator when Airi suddenly brought something up.

"Oh... That's right, Kiyotaka-kun... Didn't the fortune-teller tell us not to make a detou-"

When the light signaled our arrival on the 3rd floor, the elevator made a loud-screeching noise before stopping.

"Kyah-?!"

Airi stumbled to the side right before she could finish her sentence. It's a good thing that I managed to catch her in my embrace.

"You okay?"

"U-Um... Yes... I-I'm okay..."

It was initially pitch-black as the lights went out so I couldn't see Airi's face. After a few seconds, the emergency lights finally turned on.

"It must be a power outage," I said.

Airi gasped before fixing her posture. Her cheeks were very flushed, probably from the embarrassment of being held by a guy.

"Kiyotaka-kun, are we stuck in here...?" asked Airi.

She didn't seem panicked at all. I can tell that she was anxious, but being able to ask that question calmly meant that she doesn't feel too terrified.

"Hmm... We technically are at the moment. I don't think there's anything to worry about, though. The elevators have measures for events like this one."

"Mn, maybe we can use that." Airi pointed at the emergency phone beside the control panel. "I-I'm not good with talking though..."

"Even more reason for you to do it. Think of it as practice."

"E-Ehh...?" Airi pouted before pointing her finger at me. "Kiyotaka-kun, aren't you the same as me, though?"

"Geh-..." I've been seen through.

"You just don't want to deal with talking to adults. That's why you want me to do it."

I hung my head apologetically.

"Sorry... You're right."

Airi's sulking expression turned into a huge smile.

"If you admit it, then I'm satisfied." She picked up the phone and pressed the call button. "I'll do my best."

There's a surveillance camera watching us. And if the emergency phone can't contact anyone, we can use the intercom connected to the emergency dispatch center.