Vol. 5: Chapter 17.2 - The Kind of Person You Are

"Can I make a guess, Ayanokouji-kun?"

After Horikita asked that question, my phone vibrated indicating that I'd received a text message.

"Sure, go ahead." I ignored it, answering Horikita instead.

"I've been thinking about it ever since Nii-san asked me to give you his contact..." She suddenly turned to me, looking upset. "And you never delivered on your promise back then. You said you'd tell me about your talk after you meet him."

"Oh, yeah. I did tell you that," I muttered.

I didn't really forget about that "promise". Telling Horikita just wasn't a necessary move back then, unlike now. Well, that just solidified who I think her guess will be.

"It's Nagumo Miyabi, isn't it? The person you want me to distract..."

I stayed silent, waiting for Horikita to justify her answer first.

"I've done some digging. And even if I didn't, it's easy to tell that he's going to be the next student council president. I only know one person who can take that position from him, but... I don't think it's possible."

Graduating is inevitable. Even if her brother can beat Nagumo, he's not going to be around next year.

"Well, that's beside the point. It's a claim without any strong evidence. I thought your meeting with my brother was connected to this and the future student council president, somehow."

It seemed like Horikita got the gist of the situation, but she couldn't organize a coherent answer just yet. Her instincts were as sharp as always, and I can't help but be impressed.

"Since you got it right, this will be easier to explain."

"I'm right...?" Horikita sounded expectant yet doubtful.

"Yeah, right on mark. If things keep going the way they are now, then he's the one I'll have to fight eventually."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Just imagine what will happen if Ryuuen was a model student who got elected as Student Council President."

Horikita's cheek twitched.

"That would be... annoying."

"Right? Based on what your brother had told me, it seems like Nagumo is a bit similar to him."

"I see... He did keep challenging Nii-san during exams and whatnot, even though they were in different grades. It seems like there's no one in the second-years who can compete with him," she said.

I don't think that's necessarily true... At least, that's the vibe I got from her.

"When your brother graduates, Nagumo would have no one to play with. It's only natural for him to target us, first-years, next."

"That makes sense, but why would I need to distract him from you?"

"It's your payment."

"My payment...?"

"The main reason why I came here was for you. Because of your injury, we lost our anchor for the relay. At the same time, you lost your chance to run against your brother."

Horikita's eyebrows furrowed in frustration.

"What are you suggesting?" she asked.

"I'll be your representative. I'll show him Horikita Suzune's resolve by challenging him as a fellow anchor."

Her eyes widened in surprise.

"But... wouldn't leaving this to you become a show of weakness instead?"