Vol. 5: Chapter 3.2 - The Perfect Choice

"Kikyou-chan is hanging out with Hondou-kun again. Are you lonely?"

"Why would I be?"

"Oh, you. It's okay to be honest, you know? Your Onee-san is here to lend you a shoulder."

"You're just a few months older than me

"You're just a few months older than me... But I guess you're still technically right."

"Yup, yup. So I'm all ears if you want someone to talk to."

I noticed Kikuchi and Mori walking together, but not in the direction of the dorm. I wonder if they're going on an after-school date.

"I told you already, I'm not sad or lonely or anything like that. And Kikyou aside, I'm actually quite glad about everything that's happening so far, especially with my increasing obscurity," I sighed. "Not that it shows on my face."

"Oh yeah?" Matsushita narrowed her eyes and closed in towards me with an eyebrow raised. "Is that why you and Horikita-san lied about earlier?"

"Ohh..."

Well, it's not like I expected anyone to truly believe that reason.

"You literally scaled mountains and forests during the island exam at frightening speeds. Some might not have been aware of that, but a lot of us were. There's no way you'd run out of stamina in a sports festival," she said.

"I know, and I'm sure Horikita knows that as well. I guess it was part of her plan."

Both of us knew how flimsy that excuse was, but I decided to play along.

"Hehh... Is that so? I wanna guess what her plan is. Can you give me a hint?" Matsushita smirked as her interest was piqued.

"Let's see... It's all about 'me', in a sense."

"That's pretty vague, but it doesn't go against my theory..." Matsushita put on a thinking pose as she walked. "I see... I think I got it."

"Oh yeah? Fire away, then."

"Horikita was testing the class, wasn't she?"

"Right on the money. As expected of you," I said.

"I kept thinking about it earlier. I really wanted to raise my hand in retaliation because there's no way that you, of all people, would lose in terms of stamina compared to anyone in our year-- maybe even in the entire school."

"Surely, that's an exaggeration."

"Is it, now?" she smirked.

"Whatever. Just proceed with your explanation."

Matsushita giggled before continuing.

"Anyway, I observed Horikita-san's face it seemed like she was gathering information rather than giving them. It was after she made you confirm your "lack of stamina" in front of everyone. The way she scrutinized us was quite apparent in hindsight."