Vol. 6: Chapter 1.1 - Changes, Big and Small

"I guess this was to be expected," I muttered softly while walking beside Horikita.

"Yes. The results were not that surprising," she replied.

"Most of the first-years didn't care that much, though."

The entire class finally arrived inside the gymnasium. After a few minutes of waiting, the entire school body was complete. The results of the student council's election were announced. The outgoing members were honored and the new ones were welcomed. It was a very important event.

"*Snore*... "

Well, not for a lot of us, apparently. Yamauchi, Ike, Hondou, and Miyamoto were barely conscious as they stood. I looked over and saw Onizuka and the others looking sleepy, too. The girls from Karuizawa's group also looked detached. C'mon now, guys. We're Class A, you know?

"President Horikita has some final remarks he'd like to share with you all."

The emcee stepped aside as Horikita Manabu stood on stage in front of the microphone. As a fellow Class A leader, Horikita watched resolutely, far cry from the Horikita of the past.

"I'm very proud to have led the student council for nearly two years. Apart from that, I'm also quite grateful. Thank you all very much."

His speech was brief and concise. No strong emotions could be felt, but his dignified figure exuded that of a leader who'd finally been dismissed from his obligations.

Of course, the ceremony was far from over. The new student council officers stood still on stage as the emcee took over once more.

"President Horikita, thank you for all your hard work. Now then, we'd like to welcome Nagumo Miyabi, second-year Class A student and the next student council president, to say a few words."

Nagumo walked calmly as he approached the podium. The new student council members watched him intently, especially Ichinose, the sole first-year student who had joined.

"Hello, everyone. I'm Nagumo, from Class 2-A. President Horikita, I sincerely appreciate the strict yet kind guidance you've shown me. I'd like to express my respect for you, while also emphasizing what an honor it's been to serve alongside the most capable president in this school's history. You've exhibited the strongest leadership possible."

Nagumo bowed his head deeply toward Horikita's brother before facing the student body once more.

"Allow me to introduce myself again. My name is Nagumo Miyabi, and I will be assuming the position of Student Council President at the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School. I sincerely look forward to working with all of you."

Contrary to his enigmatic behavior during the sports festival, Nagumo was filled with courtesy and a genteel appearance. Of course, I never expected his polite act to last long. His small, narrow smile shifted the atmosphere in an instant.