Vol. 7: Chapter 4.3 - Timely Assessment

When our morning class ended, Horikita suddenly tapped me on the shoulder.

"Can I ask you for a favor, Ayanokouji-kun?" she asked.

"Hm? Sure, as long as it's not much of a bother. We're about to have lunch."

Horikita looked over my shoulder and saw Haruka and the others waving.

"Suzunon, you can join us!" she called.

"You can eat with us if you don't have plans with others... You're usually just eating in the classroom anyway." 

The words came out smoothly which made me feel a bit proud of myself. Practice really makes perfect.

Horikita gave me a dubious look.

"What...?" I asked.

"Oh, sorry... It feels weird when you say something like that with such a tone."

"Hey, I'm working on it."

"I know, I know... It would've been even stranger if your tone was vibrant and lively." She opened her bag and gave me a book. "You wanted to borrow this, right? I finished it last night, and it's due today. It's in high demand, so you can go to the checkout yourself if you want it."

It was Raymond Chandler's book. Going to the checkout myself guarantees my turn to borrow it.

"Does it really have to be-" I checked the logs behind the book and saw the date and time. "Oh... The deadline is an hour from now."

"Well... yes. I'm sorry for the inconvenience," she bowed apologetically.

"No, it's fine." I leaned in beside Horikita's ear and whispered. "In exchange, I want you to do me a little favor. It's a serious one."

I prefaced that this wasn't some sort of joke.

"What do I need to do?" Horikita immediately got the memo and asked.

"I'll tell you the details in the future. But just to let you know what it's about; you'll lend a hand in saving Kikyou."

"Kushida-san...? I see..." Her confusion was evident, but she didn't refuse.

I nodded before turning around to face my friends. 

"Airi, I'm going to the library for a bit. Do you want to come with me?"

"Eh? Right now?" she asked. 

Airi and the others were confused, but they understood why after I did some explaining. She started getting interested in classical mystery books after reading a certain light novel series. She asked me if I could recommend her first book since I was also the one who recommended that series to her, and I figured that this would be a great time.

"Mmm... I kinda want to borrow a book now," said Haruka.

"Oh, please. You wouldn't understand a single thing even if you tried." Akito teased her with a smirk.

"Haha, that's right, Haru-baka!" Of course, Ken didn't miss a beat and followed through.

Haruka gripped Ken's arm with force.

"What was that, Kencchin? I don't wanna hear it from someone whose head is more empty than mine!"

Keisei shook his head with a sigh before speaking.

"I don't think trying is a bad thing, but you shouldn't force yourself, Haruka."

"Hmph, fine! I'm in the middle of finishing the latest volume another light novel, anyway!"

Haruka was now an avid light novel reader while Ken moved on to become a gamer who often played with Ijuuin and Professor. Right now, they were busy grinding out a fighting game. Of course, Keisei and I still made sure that Ken's priority was studying and basketball.