Vol. 7: Chapter 5.1 - You've Done Well

It always seemed strange to me. I spent three years in middle school without involving myself with others because I wanted to stand on my own two feet. I wanted to be strong, like my older brother. He was stoic, excellent, and perfect in everything he did. He was special, and his talents, combined with hard work, didn't go unnoticed. I strived to be like him, and I wanted him to see me.

"Am I not good enough to be like him?" I thought to myself.

I enrolled in the same high school as Nii-san with the hopes of accomplishing my dream... And that's when I met him.

"Sorry. I thought I saw your face before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were riding on the same bus as me earlier, right?"

That was the first time he talked to me. I thought he was just another law-abiding student with good manners after he helped that old lady, but I was wrong. He was worse.

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-- he's an enigmatic person who'd shaped the current me. When Ayanokouji-kun led the class, he kept me close, treating me like an apprentice of sorts. After witnessing the extent of his abilities, the only thing I could do was try my best to keep up with him.

I'd grown to respect him like my brother, and honestly, I wouldn't want to compare the two of them with each other.

When the second semester started, Ayanokouji-kun entrusted his position to me and Hirata-kun. I genuinely thought that the class would grow weaker if anyone other than him took the lead. And just a little over three months later, that thought would be proven true. On the 1st of January, our class will be demoted back to Class C.

I obviously felt disheartened. I may have done my best, but even if I thought I'd taken everything into account, our enemies would find a way to destroy us.

If it were him... If it were Ayanokouji-kun--

"Horikita Suzune-san?" A slightly familiar voice suddenly called to me.

Before I knew it, I arrived in front of Class 3-A's door. I turned to the side and saw Tachibana Akane-senpai with two other students. They were all holding some drinks and snacks.

"Oh, you're Horikita's sibling, right?" said the male student of the group.

I know him. He was the one who represented Class 3-A during the sports festival; Fujimaki Rentarou-senpai.

"You're so pretty~! But I guess that's to be expected as Manabu's little sis!" The other girl said.

I didn't know her name, but I'd seen her face before. Her looks were attractive, mostly because of her charming smile, and her short brown hair stood out because of its curly ends.

"Good afternoon. Is Nii-san still around by any chance?" I asked.

"Manabu's inside. Feel free to go in!" the girl replied.

"Thank you very much, Senpai." I slightly bowed in gratitude.

"Oh, right~! I'm Saitou Midori. You can call me Midori-senpai if you want!"

"No, that's just what you want, Saitou..." Fujimaki-senpai cut in without hesitation.

"Y-You can call me Akane-senpai as well if you want, Suzune-chan!" Tachibana-senpai followed.

"Um, sure..." I didn't really want to get caught up in the conversation, so I just agreed and opened the door.

"You're back." Nii-san's voice echoed inside the empty classroom.

It seems like the four of them were doing some paperwork as a group.

"Manabu, your cute sister paid you a visit!" Midori-senpai yelled.