Vol. 6: Chapter 5.1 - A Matter of Principle

Before we knew it, it was already the 12th of November. It's been a month since Horikita Manabu's final address. Since it's a Friday, the Ayanokouji Group will have its fourth study session.

Everything felt the same for most of us until a few days prior. A number of changes occurred within the class.

"Hey, Ayanokouji." A classmate sneaked up behind me.

"Oh, Hondou."

"You're really stone-cold, aren'tcha? I thought my stealthy presence would work on you, but you didn't even flinch," he said. "Well, it's not that surprising. You knew I was coming, didn't you?"

"Not really. It doesn't show on my face, but I did get surprised."

"Haha, is that so?" Hondou chuckled before shifting his attention to the book I was holding. "Ohh! Is that the new volume for Dr. Stone? That was just released about a week ago!"

"The school got some copies during the restock, apparently. Professor got it on the day."

"Man, I wanna read it, too. But I'm sure there are a lot of customers lined up for it. I can't really use my friend card to get easier access anymore."

His melancholic words caused the mood to dampen a bit.

"Did the four of you really stop being friends with Professor and Ijuuin?" I asked.

"I guess so. It sucks, but I also feel like it's better if we're not buddies anymore. Those two seem like they're doing great on their own, anyway. Even with their hobbies, it looks like they get along with our classmates just fine."

I guess we're already at that time when things like anime, manga, and games are acceptable as hobbies. Some even find them cool on the normie side.

"Sorry, I guess."

"Oh, please. An apology from you would feel cheap since you didn't really do anything." 

"Yamauchi and Miyamoto would beg to differ."

Four days ago, I successfully defended my case, leaving Ike, Yamauchi, Hondou, and Miyamoto unable to argue back and press their accusations further. Ijuuin and Professor were convinced that what I did was for the best. As for the "damage" done to the "victims"... 

"Haruki-kun and Kanji-kun only have themselves to blame."

Ijuuin's words and Professor's support behind them were crystal clear.

Of course, Miyamoto and Yamauchi saw this as another act of betrayal. Ike and Hondou didn't lash out as hard as them, but they were also severely disappointed by Ijuuin and Professor's decision. In the end, the conclusion of that little discussion wasn't anything concrete. I left the room to eat lunch, and Horikita followed me out to have a conversation about what just happened.

I talked to Professor and Ijuuin via chat later that day, and they told me that the two of them would probably start distancing themselves from Ike and the others.

"Haruki and Soshi, huh? They're just being immature... But I'm not sure if they're just failing to realize how stupid they're being... or if they know what they're doing, but are just too prideful to admit it."

"I guess... I can see where they're coming from."

"Heh. I guess even the great Ayanokouji Kiyotaka dreads the idea of losing, huh?"

"It's the same for most people. Some might try to act tough, but there's no way to not feel bad after taking a loss."

And besides, it's not really about losing. Their ego won't allow themselves to take the blame, especially Yamauchi.