Vol. 6: Chapter 5.3 - Bibliophile Maiden

"Alright, that's about it." Yukimura arranged the papers and nodded, looking satisfied.

"Will you really not go with us, Kiyopon? It'll be fun! Right, Yukimuu?"

"Y-Yukimuu..."

While Yukimura still looked uncomfortable to be called by a nickname, he was also slowly starting to get used to it.

"Hasebe... Can't you think of bett-"

"No, no. You can't call me Hasebe. It's Haruka-sama now, remember?"

"Wait, where did the '-sama' come from...?" whispered Akito.

"Hmm. Fine, but..."

"What was your first name again, Yukimura? I remember it bein'..." Ken's forehead wrinkled as he tried to recall the name.

"Teruhiko, right?" I asked.

"Stop it, Ayanokouji..."  Yukimura's expression became clouded after hearing me say his name. "You can't call me by that name."

"Huh? What'chu mean? Why can't we call you by your first name?" asked Ken.

Everyone turned to him with confused expressions. If it was something that seriously peeved him, I'm sure no one would really mind if Yukimura insisted on being called by his last name. That said, we could at least ask for a reason. 

"I... don't like my first name..." he replied.

"Ohh, I see! What do you want to be called, then? I think Yukimuu is cute, so I'll keep calling you that," Haruka smirked at the rest of us. "Fufun~. I doubt anyone else would have the guts to do the same though."

Sensing that it was a personal thing, she immediately tried to mend the situation and lighten up the mood. Good job, Haruka.

"Oh... In that case, you guys can call me Keisei. I'll call you by your first names from now on, too." Yukimura pointed at us, one by one. "Haruka, Airi, Akito, Kiyotaka, Ken, Wataru, and-"

"I don't mind if you keep calling me Professor, you know?" Professor fixed his glasses in a cool fashion.

"S-Sure... Professor," Yukimura-- no, Keisei replied with a stiff smile.

I accompanied them to the door and bid my farewells for the day. I still have some more books to borrow for the exam questions. I could still hear them interview Keisei about his name, but their voices were eventually drowned out by the music playing in the library. As they disappeared from my sight, I went back inside and saw the diminishing number of students.

"Alright. Time to see what this is about."

I walked toward a certain shelf and approached a certain person. It was strange. I made it obvious that I was heading in their direction, but they didn't try to move at all.

"Good evening," the girl said.

"Good evening to you, too," I replied. 

The girl smiled faintly. While she didn't intend to continue the conversation herself, she didn't leave either. Seeing this, I felt like I could go straight to the point. 

"You're Shiina Hiyori from Class D, right?"

"Yes, that would be me. It's nice to meet you, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun."

"Were you observing us?"

"Well, you could say that... Though it's more accurate to say that I was observing you in particular."

"Me, huh? On Ryuuen's orders, I assume?"

"Yes," she nodded.

Shiina didn't seem hostile at all. In fact, I felt bad about continuing the conversation while standing.