Vol. 6: Chapter 13.1 - Collateral Damage

As the bell chimed to signal the beginning of the test, everyone started to pack up their study materials. We had to store any and all objects that were unnecessary for the exam in the lockers at the back of the classroom. The only things we were allowed to have were writing utensils. If our pencils broke, ran out of lead, or used up our erasers, we had to request additional supplies from Chabashira-sensei.

"We will now start your final exam. Your first test subject is contemporary Japanese. You are forbidden from turning your papers over before I give the signal to begin," Chabashira-sensei explained.

Rather than have the students at the front of each row pass the test papers back, Chabashira-sensei placed the papers on each student's desk herself.

"The exam will be fifty minutes long. Please try to avoid leaving or using the restroom. In the event that you aren't able to wait, please raise your hand and let me know. You won't be allowed to leave the room during the exam for any other reason," she continued.

Chabashira-sensei finished handing out test papers. Not a single student was talking by this point. Everyone focused on their papers. Shortly afterward, the next bell rang, signaling the official start of the exam.

"Begi-"

However, before Chabashira-sensei could finish giving her signal, a knock came from the outside. The sliding door opened, and everyone saw that it was Sakagami-sensei.

"Sakagami-sensei, you were supposed to oversee the examination for Class 1-D. Is there a problem?" Chabashira-sensei asked, looking puzzled.

"Forgive me for the sudden interruption. I have requested another teacher to be the proctor for my class, so please do not worry. You see, I came here because I have received a report. Allegedly, one of your students plans to cheat on the exam."

His words instantly caused an uproar.

"What the heck?!"

"Huh-?!"

"Cheat?!"

"Who?!"

Hirata, Kikyou, Horikita-- everyone looked confused. Chabashira-sensei wasn't an exception.

"Would you like to elaborate on that, Sakagami-sensei?" she narrowed her eyes into a glare.

Sakagami-sensei was unfazed. He fixed his glasses and continued without wasting a breath.

"The sender of this report wanted to stay anonymous for obvious reasons. However, they've told me that if they were wrong, I could reveal their name and that they would make a public apology to appease the accused."

"I see. Well then, who is the student in question?"

"It's Miyamoto Soshi-kun of Class 1-A."

The clamor picked up once more. Everyone turned their eyes to Miyamoto who went pale after hearing his name.

"W-What the-?! Why am I the one who got accused? I-I-I never planned on cheating, and I never will!" he exclaimed.

"That's right!" yelled Ike.

"Soshi wouldn't need to cheat on this exam!" followed Hondou.

"We studied together all night for this! There's no way Soshi would cheat!" added Yamauchi.

Hirata raised his band, but he didn't wait to get called before laying his thoughts out.

"Sakagami-sensei... Miyamoto-kun is part of my study group. I can vouch for his innocence as someone who'd watched over his studies before this test. He's become a very diligent student who genuinely tries to improve."