Vol. 5: Chapter 15.4 - Before It's Too Late

"That's a very reasonable assumption, Senpai... but it's just a misunderstanding," I said.

"Y-Yes... Kiyotaka-kun and I aren't dating or anything. We were just caught up in the moment... Or more like, I was caught up in the moment."

Kikyou flawlessly kept up her "Angel Act: Bashful Mode".

"Hehh... The two of you would've ended up kissing if I didn't go in, though..." Iida-senpai looked unconvinced.

"Kikyou was just teasing me. It was practically a game of chicken."

"Ahh, how embarrassing..." She shook her head from side to side while covering her face.

"Have you ever kissed someone, Kikyou-chan?" Konishi-senpai suddenly asked.

"Eh? Err, no..."

"Then, did you have a boyfriend in the past?"

"K-Konishi-senpai, why are you asking this, all of a sudden...?"

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to ask very personal questions out of nowhere. I just didn't think you'd be the type of girl who would kiss someone so easily."

"O-Of course not!" protested Kikyou.  "I wouldn't do that with just any other guy, you know...? And Kiyotaka-kun isn't just any other guy to me..."

She walked towards the cupboard and continued talking without looking at us.

"So Ayanokouji-kun is special to you. Do you like him then? Romantically speaking," she asked.

"Yua... The person in question is right beside Kikyou-chan, you know?" Iida-senpai muttered with a pained smile.

"I..." Kikyou bit her lips as she looked down. "I don't know... Kiyotaka-kun is my best friend, so I don't really know how to answer that question... A-And... it's very embarrassing!"

Iida-senpai jumped in front of us, trying to shift the weird atmosphere.

"S-Sorry, Kikyou-chan, Ayanokouji-kun! I hope we won't make things awkward for the two of you!"

"No, no, it's okay, Iida-senpai..." said Kikyou. "I just didn't expect Konishi-senpai to be, uh... assertive... when it comes to romance."

Konishi-senpai was busy getting the teacups, but her hands briefly stopped moving as Kikyou spoke. She must've realized how uncomfortable we were.

"Sorry about that, you two. I must've dampened the mood." She chuckled before turning to us with a guilty smile. "It was none of my business, but I started asking questions like I'm some sort of couples' counselor. That was insensitive and intrusive of me." 

Her questions lacked delicacy. It was the polar opposite of her usual considerate self.

"May I ask what spurred that on, Senpai? I doubt it came out of nowhere."

"Ayanokouji-kun..." Iida-senpai looked at me with weary eyes.

"I'm... just not a fan of that kind of stuff, you know?" she answered with a tender and calm tone. "When someone holds their feelings inside because of some unnecessary misunderstanding, you know that it's just a car crash waiting to happen."

How fascinating. I never expected her to be so pessimistic.

"I-I'm sorry. My actions must've looked immature and childish..." Kikyou bowed.

"T-That's not it, Kikyou-chan! I'm not trying to say that at all. It's completely normal to be embarrassed." Konishi-senpai hurriedly denied Kikyou's words before her voice softened. "The thing I was worried about was a sad future where... everything's too late..."

"Yua..."

"B-But that's under the notion that you actually like Ayanokouji-kun that way, of course! As I've said earlier, I got ahead of myself and just assumed stuff. That's why I'm apologizing. I didn't mean to be nosy."

"You don't believe that things will turn out just fine?" I asked.

"Well... This is real life, Ayanokouji-kun. Everything might turn out fine in things like light novels or manga, but it's different out here," she replied, looking pensive.

I could hear the same gentle voice, but it also felt like I was talking to a completely different person. Iida-senpai and Kikyou started to look worried.

"I... would have to agree, especially in this school."

Her pupils trembled slightly, but I was the only one who noticed-- no. Iida-senpai noticed it too. Of course, she would.

"In this school where you can be expelled out of nowhere, we don't have the luxury to act like characters in a rom-com. Misunderstandings, roundabout conversations-- we don't have time for those things... because once we get expelled, it'll be too late for everyone involved, as you've said. You didn't want us to have any regrets."

Konishi-senpai realized that she'd lost her cool, so she closed her eyes and gently breathed out.

"Now I see why Horikita-kun is so interested in you," she smiled.

She decided to run away, but I won't come after her. After all, it's really none of my business. This much should be enough.

"It's just a stupid rambling of a person with a wild imagination. Please don't mind it," I shrugged.

She carefully put the teacups inside a small cardboard box.

"I'm sorry about earlier, Kikyou-chan. I shouldn't have said all of that."

"Senpai..."

She gave us her usual serene smile before heading out with a slightly nervous Iida-senpai in tow.

After the two of them disappeared, Kikyou's mask finally fell off.

"What the heck was that all about...?" she asked.

"She must've been worried about us."

"Worried?! She just assumed what I felt and tried to make me confess outright! Like, get the hell off my case!"

"You managed to slip past her with your acting, at least."

"Ugh... It kinda pisses me off... I didn't expect Konishi-senpai, of all people, to speak like that..."

"Any guesses as to why?"

"Who knows? She was so tactless and arrogant just because she's older than us-- treating us like kids!" Kikyou ranted. "But... Konishi-senpai did say that she didn't mean it like that."

So Kikyou doesn't know about him.

"I guess she was concerned about students who take things too slowly. I mean, if one of us suddenly gets expelled, then you won't get the chance to confess your feelings for me, right?"

"Oi, why are you assuming that I'm gonna confess? Don't get carried away now, best friend." She looked at me with a sickened expression.

"Well, it's your own fault for suddenly trying to kiss me. I doubt a normal best friend would do that." I bit back without missing a beat.

"O-Oh, shut up, will you? I... just got carried away by the mood! Any girl might've done the same if they were being gently held like that in your arms!" She continued her rant with a red face.

I don't even know if that was part of the rant. Even I'm starting to get embarrassed here...

Fortunately, we were saved by the sound of the bell. I'm sure the two of us didn't want to continue the conversation as it was, so we swiftly ran out of the room to meet up with the others.