Vol. 5: Chapter 8.3 - To Hold On

"What an ordeal that was," I said.

Horikita and I faced each other. Now that Ryuuen and Ibuki are gone, I can finally have her explain what just happened.

"So? What was that all about, Horikita?"

"Hmph, of course, you'd sense that something was off," she replied.

"That's obvious. You wouldn't organize this whole meeting just to expose me in front of someone who already knew everything that happened. Ryuuen was my accomplice, after all."

Horikita sighed and leaned her back.

"I was trying to help you. I tried, but Ryuuen-kun didn't take the bait."

"You'd tried to help me? What do you mean?"

"You're making me angry, Ayanokouji-kun. Could you please stop playing dumb?" she glared. "You already knew why, right from the start, don't you? My plan was beneficial to you. That's the only reason why you said yes about coming here in the first place. If it were an inconvenience, then you would've declined."

The conversation went to a brief pause before I finally responded.

"Do you really think that, Horikita?"

"I'm a hundred percent sure."

Her resolute expression was admirable. If I continued playing the fool, I'll start feeling like the bad guy. Well, Horikita worked hard today, so I guess I'll give her the satisfaction of being right.

"I won the Zodiac Exam behind everyone's backs. We got to Class A and I managed to step down. However, as much as I wanted a peaceful life, Ryuuen wants to continue fighting me. That's why you continued investigating what really happened on the exam. You arranged this meeting to show that you've figured me and Ryuuen out-- to show that you have the ability to keep up with us. That way, Ryuuen would find you interesting, and hopefully, he'll want to fight you instead of me."

"So you do know."

"Yeah. Sorry about that," I shrugged. "But I should also thank you. The plan might not have worked, but I really appreciate it."

"You wanted peace. I thought I should at least help you get that much. You've already done so much for the class, anyway."

"I was happy, you know? You called me your friend earlier, right?"

"W-What are you-... E-Eherm... Don't sweat the small details. It's nothing special." Horikita was caught off-guard, but she immediately regained her composure. "Anyway, my little scheme to veer Ryuuen-kun's attention away from you failed. What do you plan to do now?"

"The other reason why I chose Ryuuen as my accomplice was to display the gap in our abilities. I wanted to discourage him from targeting me by showing him how I formulate plans that he can't defeat."

"But it had the opposite effect, didn't it? That means he still thinks he can defeat you even with your display of intellect and ingenuity. What are you going to do?"

"Well, this result was still within my expectations. I'll just crush him thoroughly the moment he decides to come at me."

"I see... Then I guess I don't have to worry."

"I'm glad that you feel that way, but you need to worry about the class more than anything else."

"What? I'm not worried about you in particular-- not in the least. I'm worried about whatever you've got cooked up that in that head of yours."

It would've been alright if she was just being shy, but the way Horikita spoke... She was saying the cold, hard truth.

"You could've at least lied to make me feel better, you know...?" I sighed.