Vol. 5: Chapter 12.1 - Presentiment

"Let's do this, you bastards!" Ken yelled.

The first event was the 100-meter dash. This type of event was ordered by grade level, starting with the first-year boys and ending with the third-year girls. After an event is finished, students will be given a short break. The order would be reversed for the next event, starting from the third-year girls to the first-year boys.

The competition was about to start and almost all of us got ready. Due to the pace at which the 100-meter dash will be handled, we should be waiting behind the first competitors on standby. A camera was also set up to watch the finish line. Victory and defeat could come down to a mere millimeter difference, after all. And of course, everyone was excited to be featured on the big screen containing different live feeds from the camera drones.

There were 80 boys in the first-year category. 10 groups with 8 members were formed with 2 students from each class. 

Horikita was responsible for how everyone was ordered from a tactical standpoint. And since I wasn't involved during their brainstorming, I didn't really get the philosophy behind the way we were grouped. She only shared some of it with me after explaining why she put me in a certain group. To be honest, I'm just grateful that she considered my feelings.

To avoid attention, I wasn't put in the first group. And having our best athlete, Ken, in the first group was also predictable so he wasn't there. But at the same time, we also wanted to start strong. To do that, they would be our best choice.

"You can do it, Hirata-kun, Minami-kun!"

Some of the girls cheered for our first duo; Hirata Yousuke and Minami Setsuya. Everyone watched with bated breaths. This was our chance to build some early momentum. Any sort of hype will help the rest of our class get in gear.

As for their opponents... Hashimoto Masayoshi from Class B and Sonoda Masashi from Class D... According to the data we've collected from watching their respective classes practice, these two were among the most athletic guys, especially in terms of speed. What an unlucky match-up for our openers.

Hirata looked back at me with a smile.

"It seems like the other classes wanted a strong start, too. But this was also within the range of our expectations," Hirata tapped my shoulder-- he probably guessed what I was thinking. "I'm in top condition today, Ayanokouji-kun. Leave it to me."

He was one of our aces. There's no way Hirata would back down without a fight. 

That said, it wasn't just Hashimoto and Sonoda. Their partners were also solid. It wasn't clear if Minami could get even get fourth place.

"Sup, Yousuke!" Sonoda smilingly greeted his fellow Soccer Club member.

"Hey there, Masashi-kun." Hirata responded with a simple wave.

"Kinda sucks that we're up against each other, huh? I wanted to get a clean victory," said Hashimoto.

"Haha, you're right, Hashimoto-kun. This could be anyone's win."

A hint of seriousness could be seen behind Hirata's gentle eyes.

The runners got into position, and as soon as the signal sounded, all of them shot off at incredible speeds. As expected, Hirata, Hashimoto, and Sonoda were in the lead. However, a winner was decided within seconds.

"Wha-? Who the heck won?"

"Yeah... Hirata-kun and Hashimoto-kun finished at the same time..."

The organizers started checking the footage. After a few moments of deliberation.