Vol. 6: Chapter 3.1 - Inching Closer

"I want information on Kushida Kikyou. It doesn't matter what you get. Ask around and report everything to me. There's no need to be secretive about it. In fact, I don't want you to be secretive about it."

Ryuuen's tyrannical tone left no room for arguments. The boys looked nervous. A lot of them had a crush on Kushida, so her impression of them would drop if she finds out that they were suddenly "asking about her".

"Kukuku. Don't look so scared now. I know you don't wanna look suspicious and creepy. You can use my name if the people you're asking start questioning your motives."

Quiet sighs of relief could be felt as soon as Ryuuen said that.

"It's time for a counterattack. We'll strike through the center of Class A and crush them from there."

Ryuuen's grin unsettled his classmates. They knew someone was bound to get hurt. However, they neither wanted nor tried to stop him. At the end of the day, Class D was still in the race to the top because of him.

After the rest of the class left, only a select few students remained inside the classroom.

"What exactly is the plan, Ryuuen-san?" Ishizaki asked nervously.

"Kushida-shi... A very high-profile target," Kaneda said. "Is there something about her that we should take notice of?"

"Kukuku. The pieces are slowly getting in place for my true goal. Going after Kikyou is just a means to an end."

Crushing Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. They already knew what he wanted.

"I can roughly tell how you want things to end up. But will trying to find out information on Kushida even work?"

"What do you think?" Ryuuen sneered. "Would I do something so pointless without any reason?"

"Tch." Ibuki clicked her tongue as Ryuuen mocked her thinking. "I guess not. But at least tell us what you have in mind. Stop acting like a smartass for once."

"Watch your tone, Ibuki. You've done nothing but fail, remember?" His smile turned into a piercing glare. "You have abilities, so I keep giving you another chance. If you want to act high and mighty in front of me, then stop being useless or I'll get rid of you myself."

Ibuki couldn't respond. She knew, more than anyone, how much she'd failed. 

"I've learned something juicy about Class A's angel. I don't really care if the class gets any information from asking around. I just want Kikyou to feel my presence-- how I'm inching closer and closer toward something she desperately wants to hide."

"Something she wants to hide...? What would Kushida-chan--" Ishizaki looked visibly confused.

"Did you really believe that her goody-two-shoes act was genuine?" Ibuki raised an eyebrow.

"I-I mean this is Kushida-chan we're talking about!"

Kaneda narrowed his eyes after hearing Ibuki's words.

"Ryuuen-shi... Are you suggesting that she's hiding a different personality behind her friendly veneer?"

"What else could he mean?" Ibuki rolled her eyes.

"That... is certainly possible. But even then, how would we go about exposing this truth to everyone? If we're spearheading this plan with Ryuuen-shi's name on the front, then I don't think the students would be swayed. Given the difference in public image, this will likely be passed off as nothing but a malicious rumor."

"Kuku. You don't get it, Kaneda. It's not about exposing the truth. It's about the idea of exposing the truth. And besides, I still have one more piece to find before my plan is completed." Ryuuen's thin smile exuded absolute confidence. "We have the points ready. Buying that information shouldn't be a problem. I've already talked about this with Sakagami-sensei... and Chabashira-sensei."