Vol. 5: Chapter 4.2 - The Sprinting Test

"Thanks, Hirata-kun." Horikita took the two devices and faced the girls. "Alright. Before we do the grip test, I want everyone to rest up and regain their strength."

The girls started withdrawing to the side of the athletic grounds. The boys started lining up for the sprinting test. For that, we will do a simple 100-meter dash, just like the girls.

"How are the results, Hirata?" asked Ken.

"Ah, Sudou-kun. Well, it didn't really change much after you and Ayanokouji-kun set the standards."

He then showed us the complete record.

"Geh... You guys are weak," he said.

"Well, compared to the two of you, I guess we are," smiled Hirata.

"That's a ridiculously large gap between the top two and the rest of us..." muttered Yukimura.

"Hehe. How does it feel, Yukimura? To be finally below us at something?" Ike teased Yukimura as he put his arm around his shoulder.

Yamauchi was beside him, wearing the same smug expression.

"I couldn't care less. I'm aware of my own strengths and weakness," he replied, removing Ike's arm.

"You're seriously celebrating that?" Akito left them a contemptuous comment before lining up.

"Isn't that pretty lame, Ike and Yamauchi?" Now they're the ones getting teased-- by Kikuchi, no less?

He then muttered under his breath.

"Anything just to inflate those pathetic little egos, huh?"

Failing to hear his next words, the two continued to retaliate.

"H-Hey, you gotta celebrate every win, right? No matter how small!"

"That's right!"

Well, it's rare for them to get a win in general. Especially against the number one student in class in terms of academics.

I got in line and noticed the increasing frequency of someone's glances.

"I wasn't even using my full strength," said Yamauchi.

"Off with your excuses, Haruki. You're just weak. Same for you, Ryoutarou!" countered Ike.

"It was literally half a kilogram. I didn't even try," Hondou replied.

"Shut up, you three. You didn't even come close to mine," followed Miyamoto.

"Now that I think about it, I'm surprised you were that strong, Soshi."

"Maybe you were gripping so hard that some poop came out?"

Okitani and Onizuka joined in on their conversation.

"Alright, alright, line it up. Let's get this over with!" Sudou yelled and took the lead with Hirata.

The boys warmed up and started getting ready. We were assigned to use the athletic grounds that weren't adjacent to the main building, so we didn't have to worry about getting spied on. It was the perfect time to decide on the Recommended Participants roster. That was the case for every class during the first week of preparation.