Vol. 4.5: Chapter 12.1 - Fate and Control

The next day, on the 3rd of September, the school finally opened the pool for every student to enjoy. The Ayanokouji Group immediately made its plans. Akito and Haruka handled the reservations while Airi and I got to work with some purchases. Ken was supposed to come with us, but he should attend his club today if he wanted tomorrow off.

"So you're not wearing your swimsuits?" I asked.

"N-No way! It's too embarrassing..."

"Well, it's not like I'm one to talk. I'll be wearing a rashguard like you, too."

We figured that the first day would result in a packed pool, so preparing now and going tomorrow instead was the ideal plan.

I left the work to Airi the moment we entered the clothing store. Since I didn't really have the best eye on this stuff, I just decided to act as her escort.

Airi happily went to me whenever she wanted to purchase something and I'd give my amateur opinion on it. I would obviously try my best to give a productive response, but my inability ended up making her hear boring answers like "It looks good." or "It seems like a nice fit."... Airi, who understood my lack of fashion sense, took my words with a gentle smile.

The two of us finished shopping at around 1:40 PM. The store we shopped at was, coincidentally, on the 4th floor. Airi suggested chilling inside a cozy cafe on the 2nd floor, but the elevator we used to get up was crowded. We headed towards the other elevator, passing through the ongoing fortune-telling caravan in the event hall.

"It's still here..." commented Airi.

"Sorry I couldn't go with you yesterday."

"I-It's fine, Kiyotaka-kun. It couldn't be helped since you already had plans."

I moved my eyes from the panicked Airi towards the tent.

"Do you want to give it a go?"

"E-Eh-?! But didn't you already..."

"The fortune-teller was sharp enough to find out my real relationship with Horikita. I don't think she'd be weirded out if I brought another friend along-- if she even managed to remember me."

If Airi wants to go, then I'd probably just buy the Basic Plan. Well, given how she's been staring at the tent, I'm sure she wants to give it a try.

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"Yeah. We have tons of free time today, and not too many people are lining up since it's already the second day. It should close up at around 5:00 PM, so we have a bit of time if you want to drop by at a cafe. " 

There's also the fact that the pool is open already.

"I'm okay." Airi nodded cutely, her face determined. "Let's go in."

And we lined up. 

Ukon-sensei was the last fortune-teller on-site, and after a few more pairs lined up behind us, the attendant lady finally closed the waiting line.

"How was your experience with Horikita-san yesterday?" she asked.

"It was alright. The fortune-teller's words were interesting, to say the least."

"Ohh... I'm looking forward to it, then. It's my first time having my fortune read. How about you, Kiyotaka-kun?"

"It was our first time, too-- both Horikita and I. I didn't expect to come back this quickly, though."

"S-Somehow, sorry..." Airi apologized with a bitter smile.

"I told you, it's fine." I lightly patted her head, which probably looked strange from an outsider's perspective given my dull expression. At times like this, I wish I could grin naturally like how Hirata and the others can. That would probably give Airi some better reassurance.