Vol. 4.5: Chapter 12.3 - Changing at One's Pace

"Thanks for waiting, Kiyotaka-kun."

Airi scuttled towards the doctor's office wearing her uniform. She was holding the eco bag containing her wet clothes. Airi wore a white blouse but not a white skirt. Instead, she wore the skirt with an inverted color scheme; the red skirt with white lines. The combination made her look like she was wearing casual clothes. Well, the red skirt was almost exclusively used outside the school. I've never seen anyone wear it during school hours due to how it'd look with our already-red blazers.

"Ara, she's back. Head home now, you two. I'm sure it was tough getting trapped inside that elevator." The physician lady gave us her regards.

"Y-Yes, thank you very much, Sensei." Airi bowed with a slightly flustered face.

I also bowed without saying a word before returning the towel.

Airi and I finally walked towards the exit. The purchase was a success and we even managed to visit the fortune-teller. If it weren't for that unfortunate power outage, I would call this a fantastic day.

"Are you feeling alright now?" I asked.

"Yes, how about you?"

"I'm okay."

"Um, where's Haruka-chan?"

"She rushed out after receiving a message. She said it was very important so she had to go."

"Ohh, is that so?"

"Yep, Haruka asked me to tell you she said goodbye."

Airi smiled with an understanding nod. We exited Keyaki Mall without much issue. The time was 3:46 PM and the heat from the sun was still scorchingly high. Japanese summers really are to be dreaded. No wonder it felt like we were getting baked alive in there.

The way to the dorms had always been aesthetic. Each path was clean and architecturally pleasing to the eye. Streets had green verges separating the roads from the sidewalks which the school nicely maintains. Passing through the avenue from the shopping district to the school was the boulevard that takes us to the forked pathway that splits the dorm buildings from each other.

"Kiyotaka-kun, did you know about that tree-lined spot behind the school building?" she suddenly asked.

"Hmm, is that the one where you'd have to go behind the water station area near the second gymnasium?"

"Yes, that one!"

"I think I've been there a couple of times. It's a pretty hidden spot."

"Do you want to take a detour?" she asked coyly.

"Hey... Didn't we just go through hell by attempting that?"

"I-It's fine! The fortune-teller said that we'd get stuck, right? Wouldn't that be impossible as long as it's we're in an open area?"

"I guess you have a point... But why do you wanna go there?"

"I'll tell you when we get there... Well, more like show you."

"Okay...? As long as there's no harm to it, I guess."

The two of us walked off from the boulevard and turned towards the school building. It's almost been a month since our summer vacation started. In a couple of days, the 2nd semester will finally be here. I'm sure Airi was having the same thought as we passed through the side of the building. Since I wasn't wearing my uniform, I can't really enter the front gate.

"We're here," I said.

"Let's stay under the shade," suggested Airi.

We were technically inside the school grounds, but there were lots of ways to leave or enter other than the front and back gates. The way this entire city-like campus was built made it possible due to how adjacent everything was to each other. Most of the infrastructure is only separated by trees or other types of greenery. Apart from the leisure pool, open courts, and some buildings, nothing was really enclosed by towering walls or tall fences.