Vol. 7: Chapter 8.2 - Jackpot

"This place is shady," muttered Ibuki.

"But that's because it is," I replied.

A lot of students were probably enjoying themselves at Keyaki Mall, and those smart enough to know that immediately went home to rest. This is the last place someone could possibly wander into right at the beginning of winter break.

Among the other inconspicuous corners of ANHS would be the storage area where a bunch of warehouses are huddled near each other. It's a place that only the people working for the school would typically go to, but Sakayanagi and I used this place to hold a couple of meetings before. (1)

The route on the way here isn't as suspicious as one would expect

The route on the way here isn't as suspicious as one would expect. You'd raise a bunch of eyebrows if you kept going straight after exiting the school entrance, but if you make your way to Keyaki Mall first, then it becomes really easy. Everyone's attention wouldn't be as sharp and a lot of students are scattered around that area, so taking a casual detour isn't a problem. That's especially true today when all the students can think about is how they're gonna spend their first afternoon right after the break starts.

"So? Can you explain why we're here now?"

"Even if you don't know exactly what we're gonna do, you could probably already guess that our targets are Kikyou and Ayanokouji."

"You're gonna call them here?" Ibuki looked skeptical, but she understood after a brief moment. "You were asking around about Kushida, right? If you managed to find something about her, then she'd most likely show up... And you're gonna use her to make Ayanokouji come here."

"Simple, right? Kikyou will definitely make her way here. This is a matter of life and death for her."

"What do you mean? You were actually telling the truth when you said she was fake?"

"Of course, I was. There's no way a perfect angel like her could exist in this world. She's bound to be rotten inside, and I have the power to expose that today. Why? Did you get fooled by her goody-two-shoes act?"

Even I'd be hard-pressed to believe that Ichinose wasn't hiding something from everyone. We're all ugly inside. And since hiding that ugliness is a pain, I never bothered.

"I wasn't fooled!"

It was obvious just by looking at her face. Kikyou must've taken care of her during the Deserted Island Exam.

"We're here," I said. "Ishizaki, open it up."

"We're going inside one of these?"

"That's right. This is where the fun will happen."

As we reached the designated warehouse, Ishizaki pulled the metallic shutters open without any hesitation. Inside were Albert and the other guys who wanted to join in.

"Ryuuen-san, you're here," said Kondou.

"Just sit there and relax. I've called our guest and she's on her way."