Vol. 7: Chapter 1.1 - Decision

Inside my room, I held my phone with trembling hands

"Why...?"

I repeatedly looked at a message with an attached photo sent to me a few minutes before I entered my room.

The sender... was none other than our class's enemy, Ryuuen Kakeru.

[Why don't you tell me about your old days?] The message read.

The image showed the front gate of a middle school that read "Sakuragaoka Academy".

"H-How...?"

My breathing started to become shallow, and my fingers became cold. My legs trembled as my footing slowly collapsed. My mind was starting to become scattered. 

"Should I respond? Should I confront him? Should I ignore him?"

Even as I thought of all the viable courses of action, I already knew the final answer.

"I don't know what to do..."

Powerless. That's how I feel right now.

The face of a boy came to mind. He was the person I would always run to. He was the person that I trusted the most.

"But he lied to me..." I muttered.

The two of us acted like we usually did even after I found out about his lies regarding the bugs, so he must've been wondering why I didn't confront him. But it's not like I can just ask him about it either. We were at a standstill, more so than we ever did.

For the first time, the two of us feigned ignorance towards each other's blatant acting.

I was afraid. I was given a subtle warning about getting carried away. 

The arrogant girl inside of me was ground to dust and became afraid. She was reminded that her position in his heart wasn't absolute. And now that Miyamoto-kun was expelled, her fears felt more pronounced. 

Can I really trust him...? 

What does he want me to do...?

No, those weren't the questions that I should answer.

I gathered my strength and stood up. It was time to make a decision-- one that would decide my fate moving forward.

This isn't up to him or anyone else. It's up to me.