Vol. 5: Chapter 10.1.2 - The Observer's Verdict

After Ryuuen left, the tension seemed to have finally faded.

"I wonder if I made the right decision," said Horikita.

The class didn't come to an agreement before Ryuuen came in, and all of our classmates stayed silent when he questioned her. Horikita had to make a decision on her own, so it's understandable for her to feel doubtful.

"I honestly have no idea what the right decision was, so I don't think you should dwell on it too much, Horikita-san," Hirata replied as he cleaned up the board and put everything in place.

"I personally think Horikita-san made the right decision. Like, there's no way I'd team up with the guy who tries to get others suspended or expelled for no reason." Karuizawa made a callback to what Ryuuen tried to pull against Ken, Ike, and Yamauchi.

Most of our classmates nodded at her words. Unlike Kouenji, Ryuuen wasn't as simple as a double-edged sword. Try using him, and you won't even feel any pain until you notice yourself holding the razor-sharp hilt.

"Well, why don't we raise our hands to vote? I'll ask whether or not you think it's a good idea to team up with Ryuuen-kun," Kikyou suggested with a smile.

The class cooperated without much issue. In the end, more than half were in favor of Horikita's decision. There were some who refused to vote, claiming to be part of the "I don't know" club. But all in all, it seems like no thought that teaming up with Ryuuen was the right move to make. And even if someone did, going against the class now would only raise eyebrows.

"As you can see, you've essentially given Class A's reply to Ryuuen-kun," Kikyou reassured Horikita.

"It'll be fine, Horikita. We've been working hard this whole time. Our class will win this for sure," said Ken.

"We'll take them head-on!" yelled Ike.

"Yeah, I'll pay Ryuuen back this time!" followed Yamauchi.

The Class A students cheered behind them. It's good to see their enthusiasm, but we'd have to face reality soon enough. It's not just us-- every class was doing their best to prepare. And in terms of overall physical ability, Class A definitely places behind the others if it wasn't for Ken. If we look at it just based on pure data, the battle of the first-years will be very close.

Well, that would be the case as long as I take myself out of the picture.

"I see... Then I guess all we have to do is prepare as much as we can. On the day of the sports festival, we'll have nothing but ourselves to rely on." Horikita slightly bowed. "Please do your best, everyone."

"Of course, Horikita-san!"

"You got it!"

In terms of morale, however, our class was definitely among the top. Everyone felt positive despite Ryuuen's foreboding threat. 

It was only natural.
We were Class A.
We've experienced nothing but victory.
As long as we work together and do our best, things will surely go our way.

Unfortunately, it's about time they all woke up from this very long dream.