Vol. 5: Chapter 3.1 - Unguarded

One week passed and our class finally decided to discuss what kind of preparations we'll be having for the sports festival, which was about a month away.

Chabashira-sensei walked towards the back of the classroom after greeting us, probably with the intention of just silently watching. She said we could use our weekly homeroom however we wished, so this was the perfect time for Horikita and the others to discuss our strategy. Well, I say strategy, but given the nature of this event, options remain limited.

Our leader duo took the initiative and walked to the front.

"Fortunately, we only tackled basic physical training during our PE class last week. Before we start practicing for the actual competitions, we need to decide the specifics for our participation, like the order, or who the participants will be, especially for the recommended-participant events," explained Hirata.

"I've decided on what method would give us the biggest chance to win. We will be assigning our recommended participants based on their abilities," said Horikita. "If anyone is against this, the floor is open for better suggestions."

The class was silent. Some students started looking around, but in the end, no one spoke up against Horikita's proposed strategy. However, the frail-bodied students looked particularly worried.

"Now then, we'll have our most athletic students take part in all recommended-participant competitions. Of course, that's excluding Kouenji-kun." Horikita turned to the boy who was currently admiring his looks in front of a handheld mirror. "Is that alright with you?"

"Why, thank you, Horikita-girl. As you can see, I have no interest in this festival whatsoever. You people do what you like." Kouenji didn't even look at her as he responded.

"Yeah, we have no need for a freeloader like you," spat Ken.

"That's where you're wrong, Red Hair-kun. The word "freeloader" fits you and more than half of this class rather than someone as amazing as me," he replied.

"Hah?! You're the one who never cooperates! And you even fucked things up for us during the island exam!"

"Wrong again. A freeloader, in this context, would be incompetent, thus becoming dead weight. There was never a case where I, the epitome of competence, had shown incompetence. Beneficial or not, I just did everything based on my desires. There is nothing in this school that I am incapable of doing or overcoming, unlike you."

Ken might've been our ace for this sports festival, but his extreme shortcomings in academics make him a setback during written exams. Meanwhile, Kouenji has never struggled in anything thus far.

"Who the hell cares about that?! The fact is you're a liability to this class unless you work with us, meaning you're dead weight."

Kouenji finally stopped looking at his reflection and gave Ken a side-eye.

"It seems like your brain cannot comprehend even the simplest things, Red Hair-kun. I do what I want whether you like it or not. That's what happened in the island exam and in the Zodiac exam. It's strange for you to leave that part out... Ah, of course. That's because I've coincidentally done something that benefited the class. Meanwhile, your mind was rotting the entire time because you can't figure anything out on your own," he snorted.

"The fuck did you say?!"

Kouenji was technically right, but instead of dragging us down by being incompetent, his neglectful actions are just straight-up destructive. But he was also right about having the ability to get results as long as he wanted to. Kouenji always had excellent grades in every subject, including PE. His stubbornness was probably the reason why he was originally placed in Class D despite his abilities.