Vol. 5: Chapter 15.2 - I'll Protect You

"Finally... Solitude..."

Ken and the others invited me for lunch, but I passed. Most of my classmates approached me or sent me a message regarding my injuries, but I told them I was fine. I've had enough social interactions for today. 

At this moment, I thought about my so-called "enemies". Sakayanagi, Ryuuen, Kiryuuin, Nagumo... So many people are getting in the way.

After the first semester, I thought that it would've been pointless to continue my Self-Test after getting to Class A, but Sakayanagi begged to differ. I don't mind seeing what she can do. Our chess match was definitive proof of her abilities. That girl was a genius, and a natural one at that. She might be weak on the physical side, but given her display of intellect and wit back then, it's still up for debate whether or not she's on par with a White Room student in certain aspects.

Then there's Nagumo... He's probably going to be the root of all my future problems. I can only guess his true goals in reshaping part of the school's system, but if I'm to believe Horikita Manabu's warning, then he'll be a pain in the butt regardless.

And for Kiryuuin... Well, I don't really know anything about her. With how our conversation went earlier, it didn't seem like she'll get associated with me again anytime soon.

My main problem right now would be Ryuuen. I should get him off my case soon. It'd be ideal if Horikita can grab his attention. That said, his plans will soon bear fruit, and once that happens...

"Hahh... I finally found you."

Speak of the devil.

"Kikyou...?"

I was currently spending my lunchtime in the Tea Ceremony Club's clubroom. Konishi-senpai gave me permission, and I was allowed to use the A/C. What a kind senpai. Secretary Tachibana could learn from her.

"Sigh... I don't think I would've been able to find you if I didn't happen to encounter Konishi-senpai." She shook her head in dismay.

"That was the plan from the start. I'm actively trying to not be found by anyone."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I being a nuisance?"

"Not really. You're just one person, after all."

Kikyou smiled after hearing my response.

"Tired of all of your friends talking to you?" she chuckled teasingly.

"Yeah, kinda..."

I sat on the floor while leaning against the wall. My packed lunch was laid down in front of me, ready to be devoured. This would be my first time trying out this neat and meaty bento set. Of course, I bought an extra in case one wasn't enough for me.

"Can I stay with you here?" Kikyou asked gently.

"Sure..." I replied while whispering 'itadakimasu'.

Sitting beside me, Kikyou began humming. She stared at me with a huge grin on her face. The sun rays that illuminated the room can never really match how bright Kikyou looks every time.

"You're so cute," she said.

"Hm? Where did that come from?"

"Nothing. You just look cute."

I don't know if that's something you'd usually say to a guy eating his meal.

"Uh, thanks, I guess."

Ah, so this was what the other guys were talking about. Girls would call them "cute" when they'd rather get called "cool" as praise. Kikyou was probably complimenting me, but I didn't feel complimented at all.