SS.27 - Matsushita Chiaki: He's Ridiculous

This sucks... I really wanted to help out, but I went ahead and caught a cold. I hope my notes were enough to help them make questions about the last lessons.

As I thought about this, the doorbell in my room made a sound.

"Please come in," I replied.

I was already expecting a visitor, so I unlocked the door before laying on the bed. If it's an intruder intending to bring harm, then I can only blame myself for succumbing to laziness-- uncharacteristic of my usual paranoid self.

"I'm coming in." A girl's voice could be heard from the other end of the door.

"Thanks for this, Horikita-san."

She brought more medicine and some consumables.

"It's no problem. You could say that this is just an extension of my job as the class representative. That said, I'm sure you called me here for a specific reason."

I caught a cold and will be bedridden until I recover. To be honest, I was lucky. It was starting to get chilly, and the students who were sensitive to the changing season were unfortunate enough to contract influenza.

Anyway, I could've asked some of my friends to bring me what I needed, but I specifically told Chabashira-sensei to call Horikita-san after I reported my condition to her. I figured that I would use this opportunity to know what really happened during the Zodiac Exam.

"Ayanokouji-kun told me that if I wanted an explanation of what happened in the Zodiac Exam, then I should ask you. If now isn't a good time, then we can arrange a meeting for another day. I might infect you, after all."

Horikita-san was surprised. She probably didn't expect me to have such a request.

"I see... I think now is a good time, though. As long as I keep my distance, I'm sure I'll be fine."

I just took my medicine and I was wearing a mask. The danger isn't that high. If so, then I'll gladly take this opportunity.

"Alright. I'll leave it to you, Horikita-san."

"Ayanokouji-kun didn't give me any advance notice about being asked by you. Since that's the case, I'll tell you everything I know. You're also an important asset to the class. I think having another capable person in the know will be helpful."

So her surprised reaction wasn't an act.

"That... is good to know... I didn't expect you to think so highly of me."

"I never thought of any of you in that regard at first, and I also didn't think that would change in the future... But Ayanokouji-kun made me realize how arrogant I was being."

That was natural. I was the same. Ever since I was put in Class D and realized what it meant, I thought I'd hide my abilities to fit in. I felt hopeless and thought I was surrounded by idiots. That perspective was instantly shattered at the very same moment it was formed-- all thanks to a person named Ayanokouji Kiyotaka.

He also managed to change her. If Ayanokouji-kun hadn't shown Horikita-san the ropes of being this class's leader, I wonder how slow and painful her development would be. Such a change... The class would've been largely affected by it, too.

"Horikita-san... Just what happened during the Zodiac Exam?" I coughed a little bit after asking that question.

Horikita-san took the glass of water on my bedside table and refilled it.

"Thank you," I said.

"You're welcome," she replied as she took her seat. "There's a lot to explain, so I want you to tell me what you know first. That way, I'd know where to start."