SS.28 - Crossroads

December 15th, Wednesday.

At dusk, Kikyou and I walked through a path lined with trees. I looked up and exhaled. White steam curled from my mouth and vanished into the night sky.

"Cold," I muttered.

"Well, you did just eat some ice cream in this freezing season..." Kikyou commented.

Every time I breathed out, that white steam rose into the air. I exhaled and inhaled over and over again. I tended to forget because of the extreme temperature fluctuations from day to day, but winter was here. Last year, around this time, I'd always been indoors. Now, I'm walking home from school with my best friend.

"I still can't wrap my head around how you girls can wear a skirt in this condition."

"It is very cold, but you just kinda get used to it."

"I'm confident about my resistance to cold, but girls are on another level. You're just built different."

"Well..." Kikyou subtly leaned on me while fiddling with her hair. "If you want, we can warm up each oth-"

"Seriously, right when you became student council president, our relationship flatlined, Miyabi. Ahahah!" A girl suddenly crossed paths with us, but she continued talking as if we weren't there. "C'mon, I'm joking, I'm joking. Besides, it's not like I'm angry or anything. But I am going to ask you to treat me in celebration, so be prepared!"

Like Kikyou, her thighs peeked out from beneath her skirt. I caught the fragrant scent of shampoo on her waist-length hair.

"Student council? Sorry, but I'll pass. I'm not interested. Besides, you still haven't settled things with the former student council president, have you? Wait, what? Why are you suddenly confessing your feelings for me? C'mon, I know you've made passes at lots of other girls. Well, if you win against Horikita-senpai, then I'll consider it, okay? Talk to you later!"

I don't know about Kikyou, but I didn't want to eavesdrop. With how loudly she was talking though... I don't think I had much of a choice. Her chocolate brown hair was familiar, and with the names mentioned in her conversation, I could only match her identity with one person.

The girl finished her phone call and exhaled deeply, steam escaping her mouth. She continued walking some steps in front of us while still not noticing our presence.

"Jeez, that Miyabi. Getting all cocky. Still, Horikita-senpai can't possibly expect what Miyabi is up to this time. In the end, he'll most likely..." She snuck a quick glance behind as she finally felt that people were walking with her. "... win."

After confirming our existence, the girl started walking faster, almost as if she was embarrassed. Everything was well and good, but when she reached the fork in the road where the path split off towards the dormitories for each year level, her foot slipped on the icy pavement and she took a truly impressive tumble to the ground.

"Wah!"

Kikyou, who had stayed silent the entire time, immediately ran to her rescue.

"Nazuna-senpai, are you okay?!"

As expected, the girl was indeed Asahina Nazuna of Class 2-A. She immediately got up and turned to us with a red face. I also made my way to them and noticed something on the ground.

"K-Kikyou-chan...?!"

It seems like they know each other already.

"That seemed like a bad fall. Are you hurt?" she asked, looking very concerned.

"No, no, I'm okay... I think."

A red charm lay on the road where Asahina had tripped. I picked it up and wondered if she dropped it.