SS.24 - At the End of the Day

"Ah, Kiyopon~!"

"Airi, Haruka. Are the results out?"

"Yeah! According to the school's post, the results had just been posted in the main building lobby. We're on our way there."

"Let's go together then," I said.

The two of them nodded in response.

"Oh, it's Sakura-chan and the others!"

Three girls approached us after we arrived in the immediate area. They were Azuma, Ichihashi, and Ryuuko.

"Ichihashi-san, Azuma-san! Even Nishimura-san is here. Did you come to look at the results, too?" asked Airi.

I glanced at Haruka who didn't have the most enthusiastic expression but was still smiling.

"We saw how great your entry was when you were finalizing it. Of course, we're here to see it place high!"

"It suddenly got pretty crowded, though."

"Alright! Why don't we go ahead and take a look?"

The six of us walked forward and saw the big displays. The entries were set up on a huge long table supported by frames and stands, and each of them was accompanied by details descriptions. All of them were great photographs with amazing edits. I can see why these entries were chosen as winners and honorable mentions. 

"Woah, Sakura-chan! That's yours!" yelled Ichihashi.

"Geh-! You placed 2nd!" said Azuma, who had mixed feelings about the results. "I'm so happy for you, but... M-My face and my body!"

"Looks like your beautiful self is up for display, Sana-san," teased Ryuuko.

"The aloof and mature impression one would usually get from Sana-chan can't be found anywhere here."

"Sakura-san really captured your child-like innocence."

"Stop analyzing it again!"

"I-I placed just behind Kawauchi-senpai...? T-That high...?! Really...?" The girl in question couldn't believe what she just heard and seen.

Haruka and I walked toward the standing display of the 2nd placer along with the nervous Airi. 

"Sakura Airi from Class 1-A. I'm glad they managed to update your class in time. It would've been funny if you were still in Class B," joke Haruka.

"This is the first time I've seen this... You really did a great job, Airi." I gave her an honest compliment. Even though this was her first time, Airi truly deserved to be in 2nd place with this entry.

 Even though this was her first time, Airi truly deserved to be in 2nd place with this entry

A bunch of 2nd-year students approached our area and looked at the photo.

"Woah, check this out."

"That's a nice picture, huh?"

"The girl in it looks mad cute."

"She's a student in this school, right?"

"Do you think it's the girl who took the photo?"

"Are you dumb? Do you think this amazing angle could be taken without anyone holding the camera? And you can't be the subject of your own entry based on the rules!"

"Well, you're the one who entered this competition! Hell if I know the rules?!"

"Hey, stop fighting, you dimwits. Both names are here, anyway. The photographer is Sakura... Sakura Airi. And the subject is Azuma... Azuma Sana. Their names are easy to remember, at least."

"She's a freshman? That's amazing! Everyone already expected Kawauchi-senpai to win 1st place, but this was quite an upset."

One of them seemed to be a contender. It's nice to hear Azuma and Airi getting complimented.

"Hey, hey, you're getting complimented, Sana-chan."

"The dawn of Sana-san's popularity is coming."

"S-Stop it!"

It's rare to see Azuma as the recipient of the teasing. I'm sure Ichihashi is enjoying her time.

Airi stared at them with a warm smile.

"I'm glad everything turned out great. I'm still hung up on the feeling of relief, to be honest. The fact that I placed 2nd hasn't sunk in yet."

"You deserve it, Airi. I'm sure Kawauchi-senpai will ask you to join the Photography Club again," said Haruka.

"You're finally going to join a club, Airi?" I asked.

"Well... I'm still not too sure."

"It's me, right? I already told you. You don't have to worry about me. We started off as a group of loners, remember? Being alone isn't a big deal for me. And I'll wait for you, so we can still go home together every day!" said Haruka.

"Mmmnnn..." Airi racked her brains like there was no tomorrow-- or at least, that's what it looked like-- but it seemed like both of them already had this figured out. "Fine, I'll join. But that's only if they invite me, okay?" 

"After this result, they'll be begging for someone like you to be in their club-- Oh-!" Haruka was surprised when Airi suddenly clung to her, but she was happy nonetheless.

"Kiyotaka-kun, do you know where Sotomura-kun is? I'd like to thank him personally. He's been a huge help for my improvement in the editing aspect," asked Airi.

"He's probably back in the dorms. I can go with you later."

"Thanks!"

Azuma and the other two had plans for Keyaki Mall, so our group split up after looking at the results.

"Goodbye, Sakura-chan! Ayanokouji-kun and Hasebe-san, too!"

"Thank you so much, Azuma-san! Maybe I'll ask for your help again in the future!" said Airi.

"No, thanks! You'll probably end up putting me on display again." Azuma's joke made Airi giggle.

"Congratulations again, Sakura-chan. You're a great photographer," praised Ichihashi.

"You should join these contests again. You'll surely win," added Ryuuko.

"N-No, no, no. I still have a lot to improve on."

"Thanks for hanging out with us, Ryuuko-chan. Say hi to Kyo-chan and the others for me!" waved Haruka.

Kyo-chan-- she must be referring to Kikyou. That reminds me, it's been around a month since I've listened to her vent. Just a little more and she'll advance my plans soon enough.

"Sure! We'll be meeting up with them later, anyway."

"Goodbye to you, too, Azuma-san, Ichihashi-san." Haruka didn't ignore them this time. She even gave the two of them an affable goodbye.

"Yes. Thanks for letting us hang around, Hasebe-san. You too, Ayanokouji-kun. We'll be going now," said Ichihashi.

And with that, the first day of the 2nd semester ended without much issue. Being friends with the likes of Karuizawa, Shinohara, or even Matsushita is a bit of a stretch, but maybe Haruka could get along with the likes of Azuma or Ichihashi. She's probably starting to realize that those two aren't using Airi to get closer to me.

Of course, it's not like I can't understand where Haruka is coming from. Sometimes, you just don't wanna get involved with some people, and others need to respect that. It doesn't matter if you don't have bad blood with them or anything like that. There are just times when you can't be bothered with having them in your life. As long you're not bothering them, I personally think there's nothing wrong with that.