Vol. 4.5: Chapter 13.3 - Class A Versus Class C

The whistle blows, indicating the start of our game. After winning the coin toss, Class C gets to serve first.

"I got it," said Haruka.

After an acceptable receive, Horikita ran after the ball and set it up for an attack.

"Sudou-kun!" she called.

"Here. We. Go-!" And slam.

Kanzaki jumped to block him and Shibata tried to dive for the ball, but it was too fast. The first point goes to us.

"Hell yeah! Did you guys see that?!" he yelled.

"Woohoo! That was amazing, right Airi?!" Haruka excitedly celebrated.

"Y-Yes!" Airi kept her eyes on the spot where the ball landed with a slightly terrified expression.

"It's nice to chill in the corner, right, Kiyotaka?" Akito smirked at me from the other side of the court.

"I know right," I replied with a smug tone.

"That was a bomb of a spike, Sudou!" said Shibata. "We'll definitely get you back for that."

"Heh, try me if you can!"

"The boys are getting fired up now," Amikura commented.

"Phew, that was intense! But things are just getting started, you know?" added Ichinose.

Horikita delivered a solid jump serve when the second whistle was blown, but Ichinose was nimble enough to receive it. Beppu got into position and set it up.

"Wha-?" Ken's expression tightened.

Amikura ran towards the center while Kanzaki and Shibata ran from both sides. Ken and Akito were at a loss with whom to block. They decided too late after seeing Beppu set it up from the back for Shibata, their outside hitter. Both of our blockers managed to jump, but they could only block a cross from that angle. In the end, Shibata spiked a straight... which directly flew towards me.

"Woah-!"

With no volleyball skills, I only managed to hit the ball with my wrist from a sloppy angle and it got blown away to the side.

"Our bluff worked!" Ichinose, Amikura, and Kobashi high-fived each other while the boys pumped their fists.

"Goddamn... They saw through our read," grumbled Ken.

"Their bluff? What does that mean?" asked Haruka.

"I'm originally in the back-right position, but I switched with Ayanokouji-kun, who's in the middle-back, after my serve to support Sakura-san, who's in the back-left. Our blockers were ready to stop an attack from Kanzaki-kun, their right-side hitter, because Sakura-san will be forced to receive it," explained Horikita.

(Note: The opponents' right side is their left side. So the enemy right-side hitter attacks Airi, who was guarding their left side. Haruka was guarding the center in case of a dump.)

"But they went for Kiyopon instead of Airi, right?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"I'm sorry for being a liability," Airi bowed apologetically.

"You did nothing wrong, Sakura-san. We actually had the advantage when it comes to defense because we would predict that they'd target you..." Horikita narrowed her eyes while looking at Ichinose. "It seems like they were one step ahead of us this time."

"My bad. I couldn't receive it," I apologized.

"It's alright, Ayanokouji-kun. That was a sharp straight. Since you don't really have any experience with volleyball, it was the inevitable outcome..." She gave me a side glance before continuing with a whisper. "But I know you can keep up with any of us once you get used to it. You can hold back if you want, but please don't throw the game at the very least."