Vol. 6: Chapter 10.2 - Missing Pieces

December 4th, 10:21 AM. Saturday.

"Hello, Nii-san."

"Suzune. It's rare for you to call me directly."

I was on my way to Keyaki Mall when I contacted my brother. His voice was flat, devoid of any emotion. It was certainly the Nii-san that I know.

"There's something that I would like to ask."

"What is it?"

"Did anyone from the first-years sign a memorandum recently?"

If my hunch is correct...

"Yes, that's right."

My footsteps halted with his confirmation.

"Are the details available for disclosure?"

"According to the contract, their identities are to remain anonymous to outside parties, so the existence of the signing is the only thing that I can confirm."

"I understand, Nii-san. Thank you for the information."

Nii-san probably knew that I was fighting this battle from the frontline. He'd only be disappointed if I linger around unnecessarily. So, I hung up and briskly walked to our meeting spot before dialing another number.

"Hello, Karuizawa-san?"

"Oh, Horikita-san. We're ready," she said.

"Alright. I'll be there in a bit."

The tension inside my stomach started to ramp up. Once everything gets unveiled, there's no telling what the final results will be... Will our class be able to unite, or will a rift start to form...?

"Ah, Horikita-san, you're here!" Mori-san waved at me.

She was always hanging around Karuizawa-san and her group during the first semester, but recently, I've noticed that her time with them started decreasing.

"Good morning, Mori-san."

Hirata-kun and my group held a small joint study session inside a karaoke room. While our groups weren't necessarily complete, some who didn't even belong to either of our groups came.

When Hirata-kun and Karuizawa-san saw me arrive, they knew it was time to start.

"Alright, everyone. Thank you for attending today's study session," Hirata-kun announced. "Even if this will be our last day of studying together before the real thing happens, I hope everyone can still do their best."

The speech to start things off gathered all the eyes. Amidst the attention that Hirata-kun was receiving, I looked at Karuizawa-san who nodded in affirmation. She and Maezono-san will take it from here. 

According to Karuizawa-san, she could use Sonoda-san or Ishikura-san to keep things under the rug because they were the type to not question her orders. But on the other hand, the plan's potency might fail given their softer nature. If I wanted things to go more smoothly, she needed someone like Shinohara-san or Maezono-san. But, they weren't the type to cooperate without knowing what they were going into.

Of course, I wanted efficiency, so I chose the latter option. And since Maezono-san was part of Hirata-kun's study group, Karuizawa-san naturally chose her to be the accomplice. I didn't really mind if Karuizawa-san told her about the true purpose of this plan as long as it was only her.

The study session finally started, and everything should proceed normally until much later.

After an hour...